Monday, 24 March 2008

Sock knitting in the rain forest

Not something you do every day.

I have been here for four days now, so am beginning to feel very far away indeed.


When I wake up in the morning I watch as the light in the sky turns the gum trees behind the house from silhouettes to beautiful saturated greens, greys and browns.


I take my morning walk up the track and watch lyre birds chasing each other in and out of the bush.

Life is very simple here, I take a great silver bowl and a knife from the kitchen, go into the veggie garden and cut what is needed for the day; bright red tomatoes, golden zucchini, tight heads of broccoli and cook them still warm from the sun.


I meet remarkable people, living at the margins, with fascinating passions whether it be preserving heritage fruit varieties to restoring a small part of a lost biodiversity. I learn, dig, harvest, cook for friends and watch the birds.

There has been knitting, but not as much as I imagined when I packed my bag! Progress has been made on my Noro sock.



More later, until then, I have wild things to watch...

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow, Jane. It sounds amazing!

daisie said...

sounds idyllic - just reading this has slowed my mind to a gentler rhythm!

Nikki said...

sounds like a wonderful "vacation"

Sussex Yorkie said...

I was about to write the same as Daisie. Most certainly idyllic and worthwhile.

Malin said...

It sounds absolutely wonderful! I love Australia and I am sooo jealous...

picperfic said...

oh how wonderful...it feels so strange that you can write your news for us to read when you are so very far away. Amazing, enjoy the magic of the place!

natalie said...

I have this feeling that you won't want to come back...

n

Rosie said...

Your descriptions are so alluring that I don't think it matters about the camera. Oh, and the thought of those sun-warmed vegetables when all the palnts in our garden have been flattened by Easter snow...

Cayetana said...

Oh, the colors from your Noro sock are gorgeous!