Tuesday, 11 March 2008

Skipnorth - Part 1

I have just had the most marvellous weekend at the annual Skipnorth knitting, spinning and all things fibry extravaganza. This is the third year when I have joined a group of people from all over the country who gather to celebrate the fibre arts. We create, learn, teach, shop and laugh like hyenas for three days based in a beautiful youth hostel in the picturesque village of Haworth in Yorkshire thanks to the extraordinary organisational skills of Alex and Nic.

In my opinion this was the most congenial group ever. There was a substantial contingent of Golders Green knitters as well as old friends from previous years, friends such as Natalie that I don't get to see in person as much as I would like and people I have never met before, all bonded by our love of the fibre arts. Visit Natalie's blog for some lovely photos of the hostel.

Unfortunately, Laura and I arrived late on Friday evening, missing some interesting sessions on Koolaid dying, modular knitting and colour theory but soon settled in to the sharing and companionable knitting.

Saturday morning dawned and the coach took us off on our woolly expedition. First stop,Coldspring Mills. This is a spectacularly located treasure trove which is half camping shop and half yarn emporium stocking a wide range of discounted yarns and mill ends. I indulged reasonably modestly...

First, 240g of Noro Kureyon. This will be split with Sue from Golders Green knitters so that we can make felted tea cosies!
Next, some Aruacana Nature Cotton and some Craft Cotton for facecloths and dishcloths respectively.
My major purchase at Coldspring was 900g of purple Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool which at half price was too good a bargain to resist.This will become a nice drapy spring, autumn jumper with plenty left for a shawl.

More shopping reports to follow!

The long journey gave plenty of opportunity for knitting so as I was navigating simple sock work was the order of the day! The Pretty in Pink socks are finished. I used nearly every scrap of the Apple Pie yarn so they are very long and cosy.

The place for simple socks in my 'system' has now been taken by my magic loop Potluck sock. As you can see I am closing in on the toe.

I have also managed to make good progress on the Moroccan Carpet socks which I am enjoying more and more.It is a strange stitch pattern which makes a fabric with a very interesting texture. I am thinking about writing up the pattern. What do you think?

As you can see, there is a vacancy for 'Very Tricky' in The System.I am currently holding auditions for suitable patterns...

Finally, I have something to show you that some may find disturbing...

My first finished crochet project. Thanks to Julie for her time, yarn and hook, we turned a couple of hours at the back of a very bouncy coach into an impromptu crochet classroom. My first project is a blanket for a premature baby, the Skipnorth charity for this year. I'm quite unreasonably proud of it.

I see more crochet in my future!

10 comments:

Saffron said...

Those socks look lovely! and Yay! for the crochet! :) That looks great! I love the color(s)!

Queen of the froggers said...

http://www.knitspot.com/knitting_pattern/handknits-for-feet-c-4.html?zenid=m2tnq0e2avemgablmoqkn53na5
I found these patterns which are lovely and might fit the difficulty sock vacancy, the Marie Antoinette socks look nice, I mught give them a try!
Your trip sounded wonderful.

Crochet said...

Woow those are adorable....looks awesome..Thanks a lot buddy for sharing information with us.
keep up the work.
www.lifeinfozone.com/category/clothing-accessories/crochet/

natalie said...

What about the Bird Foot Socks from RedBird Knits? Or is that too much colour work at once? Maybe not any good for tube-travelling.

n

picperfic said...

I remember reading about this last year, was it really a year ago? Sounds like they do some great workshops..What a lovely haul of goodies you have shown us.

Jenny said...

Wow, a trip to the fabled Coldspring Mill! I bet that was wonderful. And Jane, I have to admit, I did find your cr*chet project a little disturbing. I am going to have cr*chet nightmares tonight!

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

you all seem to have a fantastic time, and the socks look great. the crochet looks good too!!it just makes a different kind of fabric that's all, and one teeny baby is going to be soooooo comfy, and that's what matters!

Knitman said...

Lovely purple yarn! I like that woman's designs too.

Rosie said...

Great socks and most impressive crochet. Isn't it strange the way the Skipnorth Crew can tempt you over to other crafts. Three years ago, when I first went there, I was a knitter. Only Nic and Lixie and others were working on some rather tempting crochet projects. Last year, I went as a crocheter, only Liz introduced my to dyeing and Sue and Isabella and some others were spinning on wheels. So this year, I went along as a knitter and a crocheter and a dyer but those ladies with the spinning wheels were there again and the rest is history. My spinning wheel should be delivered later this week. I dread to think what might happen next year...

LittleBerry said...

You sound and look like you had a good time at SkipNorth... I like the Moroccan socks they're very effective....