Wednesday, 26 March 2008

Of garlic, fish and chips and stolen sea grass

Life is very much governed by the elements here. With the promise of rain somewhere on the radar we raced out in the early morning to get as much garlic as possible planted. It has been very dry here and a good soak would be just the thing for newly planted beds. Pushing cloves into the cool morning earth felt very different to yesterday when the beds were warm from the late afternoon sun.

After consulting the tide table (not something I have done since my childhood on the Isle of Wight) we jumped into the Ute and headed for the beach, stopping only for fish and chips ( I think they feared I might mutiny if not bribed with food - they know me too well) we backed onto the beach and loaded up a trailer load of sea grass for mulching the garden beds. I added a new life skill to my portfolio; the use of a pitchfork! I'm sure it will come in handy, somehow, someday...

The rain finally caught up with us in the late afternoon so we spent time in the house, assembling a delicious casserole of garden vegetables, crusted with ricotta and fresh pesto that I had made the day before from rocket picked fresh from the garden.


Food tastes so good when you've worked hard for it and know where it comes from. This is the time of year for gathering in, enjoying the harvest and putting food away for the winter. It feels good to be working with the seasons like this - even though they are upside down to my own. It does make me think about how my veggie garden is doing and make ambitious plans for the summer...

Knitting wise, I have a new design, based on images from my time here in my head. I've had a quick look through Barbara Walker and have found what I am looking for pattern wise. I knew her book was the correct choice!. It's a little more complex than my usual patterns so am having to chart it rather than wing it as I usually do.

I have also ground out a few more rows on the Noro sock and a couple of rounds on the Wishbone Lace. Life has its own pace here.

PS It's my birthday today - can't think of many places I'd rather spend it.

18 comments:

RooKnits said...

Happy Birthday. Sounds like you are having an amazing time.

purl pirate said...

Happy birthday!

Auntie Noo said...

Happy Birthday Jane - it sounds a fantastic way to have spent it!

natalie said...

Happy Birthday!
Are you going to have cake-with-candles?

n

Wye Sue said...

Happy Birthday :-)

Do you fancy coming to stay and using your pitchfork skills ?

franney said...

Happy Birthday Jane! *hugs*

I am really enjoying reading about your Adventures and it must make your birthday feel extra special to be spending it somewhere so fantastic!

K. said...

First, have a Happy Birthday! I am loving your posts from the bush. And somehow I knew you were taking the right book, too!

Sussex Yorkie said...

Happy, Happy Birthday.

Karen said...

Happy Birthday, Jane!
Appropriately, I have just paused in knitting a Cranford Mitt to read your post.

Malin said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you're having a good one :-)

Ruthanne (in Seattle) said...

Happy Birthday Jane! It's so fun hearing about your adventures on your trip. Here's to many more!!

Rosie said...

Happy birthday: it sounds as though it will be unforgettable. I thought of you today when I saw a bottle of bubblebath with the following (regal)quote on it "I take a bath once a month whether I need it or not"...that was Elizabeth I in 1528, apparently.

Linda said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

I'm really enjoying reading about your exploits. :0)

Joan said...

March 26 is a fine day for a birthday. My lovely daughter-- my baby!-- is 18 today! All good wishes to you, and thank you so much for taking us along on your adventure.

Nikki said...

Happy Birthday!!! I can't imagine a better way to spend a birthday :)

and you never know about the pitch fork! - maybe one day you'll have a huge pile of fleeces you need to move quickly from one spot to another! :D

Squiblet said...

Happy Birthday Jane!! I can't wait to see you photos both of the views and your knitting.

Squiblet said...

Happy Birthday Jane!! I can't wait to see you photos both of the views and your knitting.

Bronchitkat said...

Happy Birthday, albeit belatedly.