Tuesday, 18 March 2008

I should be packing...

I should be leaving the house in 12 hours. This time tomorrow I will be almost half way to Melbourne, Australia. Have I tidied up? Have I packed? Have I chosen my yarn for the trip?? Later... First I wanted to show you how much progress I have made on my socks.

I spent the weekend with my dad so had plenty of time between fish and chip lunches and seeing how the garden was doing to knit and chat. I'm very pleased with my progress on the Wishbone socks. I'm using Cherry Tree Hill Supersock solid which is a lovely, high quality, reliable sock yarn. I'm not entirely sure about whether it has just the texture for lace socks as it is a very highly twisted yarn which makes it very round and firm. The lace fabric that it produces is very firm and almost three dimensional rather than having the movement of something like Lorna's Laces. Having put it on the blocker I am liking it a whole lot more as the pattern really pops so I will reserve judgement until wash and wear time.

The Wishbone Lace pattern is fabulous, with a cast on which uses the yarn double to cast on whuch gives a nice firm edge. The last time I used it was on Ene's Shawl from Scarf Style. The square heel is also a nice, tidy, hardwearing construction. The lace is a little more complex than the one on my last socks but easily memorable nonetheless.


I have been running around like a headless chicken today as all my unfinished tasks came home to roost. This morning at first light I was digging about in my garden planting some beautiful snowdrop plants that my dad gave me, then dashed down to the Post Office to pick up some parcels before even thinking about heading off to work. Needless to say, most of my parcels were knitting related, including this book on mitten knitting that Natalie told me about. I tucked it into my work bag so I had a bit of time to flick through it on the train. There are several patterns that I would love to cast on straight away although a fair number of them looked a little 'clunky' for me. It dawns on me that the vast majority of the knitting that I prefer to do tends towards the small, intricate, detailed project rather than using chunky yarn to turn out super quick projects. It also makes me think with some chagrin about how few kilos of wool I need to keep me entertained compared to how much I have...

Which brings me on to the yarn shortlist...

I am finding this task somewhat tricky. Most of my time away is going to be out in the bush, working with my friends on their 85 acres of regenerating rain forest. They generate their own power, collect their own water, grow vegetables for the house and garlic for the market so there will be loads to do and I am so looking forward to getting out and getting my hands dirty. I will also be cooking for big crowds of friends, visiting and travelling around so if I was being realistic all I would be taking would be a ball of sock yarn and a half finished sock.

Secondly, I have three glorious weeks completely out of my usual environment, away from the day to day frustrations. I really should take my existing projects and get on with them, as well as several design and pattern writing commissions I am working on but I want to play with new, shiny things.

What do we see in my 'shortlist?' Huge piles of yarn for new projects that it would probably take me six months to knit up. Note, however I have managed to keep myself down to one (albeit enormous) stitch dictionary). Which one would you take?

I'll let you know how much yarn I finally squeeze into my bag...

Despite being in the middle of the rain forest, my friends do have satellite broadband so with any luck, news on my folly and lack of knitting progress will be coming to you from the Antipodes for the next three weeks.

See you on the other side of the world!

10 comments:

RooKnits said...

Have a fantastic trip

LittleBerry said...

Have a great time, looking forward to your exploits knitting & otherwise....

kathryn said...

Have a lovely time!!

picperfic said...

how exciting, sounds like you will be working hard on your travels. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

gilraen said...

Have a great time down under!! :)

Jenny said...

Jane, have a great trip!!!

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

I hope you have a wonderful time, it sounds like it will be an amazing trip, your friends sound fab, genuinely doing something to help the planet.

K. said...

You are going to have so much fun. We will all die of envy. It will be nice to hear all about your adventure!

Karen said...

Have a wonderful time!

Nikki said...

I'm finally getting caught up on my blogs... I hope you had a safe trip and are having a fabulous time!!