Friday, 28 March 2008

Exacarpus Cupressaformus


Every day I am taught a new botanical and common name for local trees and shrubs. The exacarpus cupressaformus is commonly known as the bush cherry. I also know the muttonwood, the balm mint and the hazel. Another part of my education involves identifying birds by their call as well as by sight. I am doing less well at this. I think I have nailed the butcher bird, the currawong and the grey shrike thrush (non mating season) but am still confused by the yellow robin and the eastern spinebill...

This is the sort of mental activity that carries me through the more prosaic tasks such as spreading sea grass mulch on newly planted garlic beds, breaking up garlic heads and starting the whole process again. We have probably got two thirds of next season's crop in the ground now thanks to the visit of a kind neighbour who I think will become another good friend.

Nothing much to report on the knitting front. In addition to my Barbara Walker I did sneak into the luggage my new book from the Knitting and Crochet Guild which not only includes stitch patterns but really good advice on how different stitch patterns perform but also how to create my own. This has been very informative reading in preparation for my garlic lovers socks...

4 comments:

Sussex Yorkie said...

Mmmmmmm Garlic. Looking forward to these. Do they come fragranced??

Rosie said...

I think that "exacarpus cupressaformus" sounds like the sort of thing that denizens of Hogwarts say when brandishing their wands!

thank you so much for all these posts: reading your blog makes me feel (if only for a few moments) that I'm in Australia, too!

LittleBerry said...

Enjoying reading your posts about your exploits :o) keep them coming

natalie said...

Garlic lovers socks?

I have Hickory Smoked Garlic in the fridge at the moment and it is gorrrrrgeous.