Thursday, 28 February 2008

Miss Mattie says thank you

I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has been so positive about the Cranford Mitts pattern. It's very reassuring to hear not only that you like the pattern but also that the approach I am taking to sharing it feels right. Natalie tells me that the merino she has dyed up is flying off the shelves so I'm really hoping to seeing Cranford Mitts popping up in the blogosphere soon. If anyone has any problems at all interpreting the pattern, please do get in touch - all part of the service!

A comment by Suse made me smile. She suggested that they would be perfect for Miss Mattie, so beautifully played by Judi Dench in the series, not knowing that Miss Mattie's Mitts was the other name that I thought about for this pattern. Picperfic asked if I was planning to use the BBC's current classic drama Larkrise to Candleford for inspiration for future patterns. Indeed, Marianne, I am planning to design a whole outfit based on the modes of the lovely Pratt sisters!

To ensure that I wrote the pattern up properly I needed to make myself another pair of mitts, so here they are. They are a slightly more colourful and saturated version of Natalie's, again made with some of her organic merino, this time in Murrayfield with Corduroy for the contrast edges. The solid is more of a 'semi' than the last but I think it works rather well.

In other news, I just had to share that this little corner of my garden was so warm and sunny yesterday morning I was able to sit out and have a bit of a knit and a nice cup of tea OUTDOORS! Hurrah, spring is just around the corner.


The sharp eyed amongst you will have observed that the Manos silk blend that smuggled itself into my bag the other day is on its way to becoming another clapotis. When I got home from teaching on Saturday night I think I had overdosed on socks ever so slightly so a brief desox was required. I've taken the clapotis cure and all is back to normal now...

In another new departure for me I have been doing a bit of test knitting. This is the very lovely Have a Heart sock by Marianne at Picperfic. So far I've learned a beautiful new cast on for a toe up sock and am about to start an intriguing new heel construction. The yarn seemed terribly appropriate, My Valentine 100% merino from Lisa Souza which is a lovely yarn but a little too light and floppy for this pattern; the dot knot pattern doesn't really show so I might try again with a firmer yarn.

I've not been adding massively to the Yarn Archive recently but the library is fixing to burst at the seam. Here is a recent acquisition:


This is a very well produced and glossy book about spinning art yarns. If it had been offered at full price I probably wouldn't have been tempted but there was a second hand copy on Amazon for about £7 so I thought I would have a go and for £7 it's a bargain. There is so much refreshing and irreverent inspiration there but they very clearly say that you need to develop good basic spinning skills to be able to play with the medium effectively. There are recipes for yarns and suggested patterns for them. Now unfortunately, I am a little too mature to avoid looking eccentric if I wore something like this....

but it would be fun to make something pretty like this...

Even if I just kept it as a pet.

11 comments:

kaet said...

What lovely Spring colours in those mitts. Hopefully there will be lots of sunny days to sit in the garden with them beside you just in case!

Queen of the froggers said...

I have my mitts pattern ready! Clapotis is a lovely knit, I have worn mine nearly all winter.

kathryn said...

Ohh yes! I'd love a pet like that.

LittleBerry said...

the Clapotis looks lovely very Autumnal in contrast to your "spring like" mitts :o)Looks like you are having better weather than me... yesterday was fine but not warm enough to sit outside!!! and well today is "presisting" to say the least...

I look forward to seeing your "Pratt Inspired patterns" :o)

Mrs J said...

Pretty! I my just have the yarn I need to knit the mitts!I have yet to knit a Clapotis but it is tempting!

Sussex Yorkie said...

The Manos is looking even more tempting knit up and I am waiting, needles poised, for the YY Merino to drop on the mat.

Squiblet said...

You must knit something Purple inspired by the Miss Pratts as being a purple lover I have noticed that they wear purple an awful lot. Also, I think it's a lovely coincidence that you and I are both knitting gloves/mits in green and with a very similar stitch pattern. I love the contrast edges to yours though.

twellve said...

that's so cool. i'm reading Cranford right oow! (haven't seen the tv prog).

Jenny said...

Jane, I can't wait to hear more about your "intriguing heel construction"!!!! I am searching for that perfect toe-up HEEL.

SpinningErin said...

I love the looks of the mitts! Now, if I can just figure out how to order the pattern....I'm so excited that you're moving on to Lark Rise - with Cranford, those are my favorite books, and knitting patterns to correspond are just delightful. Perhaps a knitted post-bag....

Serviced Apartments Resident said...

Now that is one funky pattern! Bringing a burst of colour to Winter!