Wednesday, 6 February 2008

Like a Fox in a Hen House

I've heard that when a fox manages to get into a hen house, the sight and smell of all those warm, feathery chickeny bodies sends him temporarily insane. Instead of treating the nesting boxes as a menu, selecting the plumpest and most savoury looking for his supper, a red mist descends and he snaps to left and right in an orgy of consumption and in a trice he is surrounded by more limp bodies than he could ever possibly need to satisfy his appetite.

I have a confession to make. During my temporary indisposition my knitting appetite was very weak so I drifted around, browsing through pattern books, sorting my stash and generally being idle and listless. But now, my desire has returned and the thought of all those yarns and patterns and possibilities... oh my!

So I have cast on this:

Ann Budd's Undulating Rib socks from Interweave Knits Favourite Socks in The Natural Dye Studio Alpaca Merino. I bought this from Amanda, the dyer at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace last October and had a long and very interesting conversation about how different fibres take up dyes in different ways with this being much more muted than a pure merino would look from exactly the same dye bath. Fascinating. The colourway isn't one that I would normally have chosen but it reminded me of the colour of Chewits, those orange and lemon flavoured sweets we had as children.

I also cast on this: I thoroughly enjoyed everyone's comments on my defense of the colour yellow and am glad to see I'm not entirely on my own on this one! True to my word I thought I would cast on a pair of yellow socks and found this rather lovely but simple pattern in the 2007 Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts. They are Socks for Veronik by Mona Schmidt in Oxford Kitchen yarns Blue Faced Leicester sock yarn in gold. The yarn has lovely subtle shading in the dye but is not as soft as I imagined it would be. The stitch definition is very good, however, and it may well bloom after washing.

I also cast on this...

A good old plain top down sock in Apple Laine Apple Pie in Pretty in Pink. Just because...

With the bit firmly between my teeth by this time I also cast on this:

A Knitting Pure and Simple top down Henley Jumper in Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed. I'd forgotten how much I love this yarn. Despite its earthy look it it butter soft and oh so cosy!

Picture me, therefore, reclining on my sofa surrounded by all these little woolly objects, started with enthusiasm and tossed aside in my lust for something else new and gorgeous.

I feel for that fox...

13 comments:

Adrienne said...

Your projects look fantastic!

LittleBerry said...

everything looks great... how many pairs of socks do you possess? or do you give them away mainly???

I've had the same problem recently starting lots of bits and not wanting to do anything on them after the initial cast on and knit/crochet stage....

Auntie Noo said...

ahhhh casting on syndrome!!! - They're all so lovely though i can see why you did!

Sussex Yorkie said...

Im,pressive is the only way to describe that medley!

Terri said...

I'm always casting on for new wips too!!! The downside of having so many patterns I think:-) At least you finish off pretty quickly too though, you don't hang around;-)

sarah said...

I DID NOT need links to more yarn shops, nor did I need to know that Natalie's dyeing roving... I do need more time. And given the beauty of your spinning, I'd say you're the inspiration, not me :-)

I must knit more socks. I've had to darn holes in the ones I'm wearing!

AlisonK said...

I did something similar when I had the lurgy last week. I wanted to knit but I wasn't really up to it, so I cast on something simple and now I feel better I'm bored with it....

I have decided to stash it until the next time I feel under the weather and have cast on another project I actually WANT to make. Ho hum.

Mrs J said...

The 'socks for Veronik' are a fantastic knit, as are any socks from 'Favorite Socks' I guess. Thank you for your kind comment on my blog -I hadn't found your blog before but I will bookmark it & be back. We clearly have similar sock 'issues'!

Queen of the froggers said...

Fantastic knits, I love the yellow colour sock yarn. I hope it softens up. Aren't we all like those foxes when it comes to yarn!??

natalie said...

I just gave you a blog award!

Hope you have a sunny day.
n

Knit Nurse said...

Lovely socks, and lovely Portmeirion Totem plate too! I have a whole rake of this in my kitchen and I love it..

Mandella said...

Dr Della diagnoses an acute case of startitis, only curable by spending excessive amounts of time knitting ......

I'm so envious.

sandra said...

Having finished a major FO and most of my other small bits, I was also at a loss as to what to do next. Should I do this, or that, or maybe a sweater? Now having seen your smashing socks, especially Veronik's, my mind is made up! More socks it is!