Tuesday, 12 February 2008

Creatures of Light and Darkness*

The Henley jumper whilst still a largely shapeless piece of dark grey fabric is slowly unfurling into the shape of a garment. I'm very pleased with the texture of the fabric which is soft, firm and plushy. As you can see I have now divided for the sleeves and am working my way down the body.

The pattern calls for a ribbed edge but I am thinking about replacing it with a contrasting facing to perk it up a bit. I have these three shades of Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran which I am trying to decide between. What do you think? Will any of these do or should I go for something a little less sober? Shocking pink? Lime green?

Members of the Yarn Yard roving club who have yet to receive this month's parcel may wish to look away now....

Knitting away on a grey project, no matter how great the tactile pleasure means that I am very receptive to splashes of colour but nothing could prepare me for the sock in the eye of this month's offering. Those of a nervous disposition may need to brace themselves. Natalie claims that my spirited advocacy for this particular shade is partly responsible for this..

What a welcome burst of sunshine for this time of year! My immediate thoughts were of harlequin tulips and dashed out immediately to explore my garden for the signs of spring bulbs.

My bobbin has been empty for the last couple of weeks but I couldn't wait to get spinning on this. The fibre is Blue Faced Leicester which is a fibre I enjoy spinning very much. I decided, however that I wanted to spin a yarn where the colours are more blended than they are in the roving. I have in my mind the shades of a Tequila Sunrise so I have broken the roving into shorter lengths so that the runs of colour are limited and when plied will give random gradations of yellow through orange to red. That's the theory anyway, let's see whether my spinning skills are good enough to translate my vision into reality!

Last Saturday I taught my first sock class at IKnit. Whenever I teach I realise how much I enjoy it. Classes always attract such a diverse and interesting group of people and it's a pleasure to share my enjoyment of sock knitting with others, some of whom start off looking very dubious! As usual everyone proves themselves to be entirely equal to the task. I'm looking forward to next week when we tackle the heel turn.

Teaching reminds me that when I started this blog almost a year ago my objective was to record my development as a knitter. I have therefore been doing a bit of reading.

Stay tuned to discover what I have learned...

* Borrowed from an album title by Jackie Leven

8 comments:

Nikki said...

That roving is so pretty... just what a person needs in the dead of winter.

Adrienne said...

Ahhhhh roving!!!!

Knit-knacker said...

The roving is so colourful. I loved your sock knitting class on saturday, and yes I did knit all the way home on the train! Only 15 rounds to do before I'm ready to turn the heel. Eek!

Queen of the froggers said...

The roving is lovely. I tried drop spinning yesterday, my god it is so addictive! I am slowly getting there but how do you get a nice softly spun yarn that isn't so twisted but won't break when pulled!!! Practice I suppose!

Auntie Noo said...

That roving is lovely - I'd never have chosen it, but it looks great..... do you know what you'll knit with it yet?

natalie said...

Glad you are loving the roving... I told you the Marigolds would get you eventually!

K. said...

That roving made me think of tulips, but not harlequin tulips. Just acres of red and yellow ones. As for your jumper, I think those colors would look great. Lime green would kind of jump out and give it some excitement.

littlelixie said...

Love the henley. I think you're right about a contrasting edge but maybe a smoky purple rather than a shocking contrast? You could dye some of the pale grey purple?