Tuesday, 1 January 2008

Smitten by another mitten

Happy New Year Everyone!

I am now back home from spending time with my family and am bracing myself for the return to work tomorrow. I did have a wonderful time, just the right combination of raucous familyness and companionable silences. I feel warm and rested and reminded of the things that matter in life.

So, back to the knitting. You may recall that for my ten day sojourn I packed enough yarn for at least three pairs of mittens, three pairs of socks and a washcloth. Suffice to say, despite plenty of time devoted to my craft I brought most of that yarn home with me, plus a couple of balls of black sock yarn I found in the local wool shop and felt I needed to buy to Encourage Them.

However, what I failed to produce in terms of quantity I think I managed to make up for in terms of quality - take a look at these little beauties!

These are Komi mittens from the book Knitting Marvelous Mittens by Charlene Schurch. The yarn I have used is Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift. This has to be my most adventurous colour work project to date and I absolutely loved every minute of it although they were incredibly time consuming. They are knit on 2mm needles which gives a beautiful firm, dense, almost velvety fabric which will be incredibly warm. The pattern is very well designed with the reticulations (a posh term for big geometric pattern I understand...) fitting in with the shape of the mitten really well.
When I looked at the shape of the thumb in the picture I thought it was going to be very awkward and had been designed in that way to accommodate the shape of the design but in reality it follows the curve of the thumb perfectly.

I'm also quite pleased with my colour choices too - in fact I actually prefer them to those suggested in the pattern. I can see a lot more of these sort of patterns in my future as I am no longer intimidated by them. It's all one stitch at a time after all isn't it? Mind you, after the hours of work I put into them I may need a little bit of instant gratification work some time soon.

Having time to spend thinking and reading and talking I've got lots of things to share over the coming weeks but I need to ease back into reality now and finish unpacking...

10 comments:

Nikki said...

Those are absolutely stunning!!

picperfic said...

these are so beautiful Jane...I clicked the picture to get a better view and the stitches look so good. I love the way the rib has worked out with the purl stitches standing sort of proud.

sandra said...

I really must get this book!!!Thanks Jane for showing us.

kathryn said...

They are absolutely beautiful!! I love the colours you have chosen - they really work well.

Queen of the froggers said...

My word, they are gorgeous!

yorkshiregirl said...

simply gorgeous :) congratulations! Happy New Year!

Lucy said...

Jane - your mittens are just exquisite - I am very tempted to buy the Charlene Schurch book (I received the Latvian Mittens book for Christmas.)I am determined to fit in some mittens and socks somewhere this year - I have lots of new toy patterns too.....Ah well we'll see !!So glad you had a lovely holiday with your folks. Happy Knitting and Happy New Year!

LittleBerry said...

Happy New Year.... Those mittens are lovely and definitely quality not quantity knitting shows.... look forward to forthcoming projects....

Mandella said...

Those mittens are stunning. Your colour choices are absolutely fab.

yoigicknitter said...

Those really are a work of art. I am finding it hard to cope with two colours let alone all of those. They really are beautiful. I love the colours too, they are so vibrant and warm.