Wednesday, 30 January 2008

The rolling hills of garter stitch recovery

Happily, I'm not used to being felled by a bug so I had forgotten how heartily I dislike it. I have to confess, there have been times when I have shivered out of the house on a cold, dark morning that I have entertained the idea of curling up on the sofa with my knitting, an old movie and a sniffle with some satisfaction. In reality I have probably achieved less this week than I manage to squeeze into the vacant corners of an average week of hurry and scurry. As they say, my get up and go just got up and went. There are, however, glimmers of recovery...


I have, at least, finished the Waving Lace Socks. To recap, they are by Evelyn A. Clark from the Interweave Press Book, Favourite Socks.I used a Lorna's Laces semi solid in Cranberry on 2.25mm needles. I thoroughly enjoyed the knitting of these socks, the yarn and pattern working perfectly together.

And here's a shot of the stitch pattern, without the distracting sight of my badly ironed duvet cover. Well it was chilly outside and I was in my pyjamas....

I plan to make sure there is an interesting lace sock in a lively semi solid on my needles often this year.
Just as we seek simple, comfort food when we're feeling a bit peaky, garter stitch can be a comforting companion when anything more creative feels too hard. I have, therefore, heroically finished the centre part of the Truly Tasha shawl and have started the knitted on border. It's the border which lifts this shawl from being a plain garter stitch triangle to a practical and feminine shawl. It is also the twist in its tail. I have made this a couple of times before so I am no longer under the delusion that once started on the border, the shawl is nearly done. I am not going to dwell on how many feet of border I am going to be making but I'm guessing that it will probably take me as long to finish as the rest of the shawl what with rest stops an'all.

You may think that with this shot I have succumbed to derivatively arty garter stitch photography. Perhaps so, but as far as I am concerned this mountain of garter stitch represents the feet and feet of border knitting I have before me and, as in hill walking, it can only be tackled a step at a time but the view from the top should be worth it!

6 comments:

Mandella said...

That's a very philosophical comment to end with!

Get well soon. You must truly be feeling sick if it's cut down your knitting output. I'm glad, however, you finished the waving lace socks. They are very tempting - as are Retro Rib.

vi said...

now see if you lived here
i could have lumped you with sick bernie and fed you chicken soup and honey and lemon
and hot tea

vi
feel better kid

Queen of the froggers said...

I hope you feel better soon. I am afraid I feel the same about garter stitch, it doesn't "flow" for me! I love the socks.

Anonymous said...

Seriously...you IRON your duvet cover??? Can I come live with you?

LittleBerry said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. Your socks look lovely and so does the shawl....

scarletprincess said...

Those socks are truly beautiful! Such a shame I have terminal SSS. I'm looking forward to seeing the shawl finished too x