Wednesday, 16 January 2008

Purple Haze

It would appear that there is a purple haze hanging over today's entry. Coincidence perhaps? Or could it signify that the very act of confessing my knitting slump spurred me into a positively purple patch of finishing things off? Who knows... and thanks to everyone who reassured me that I am not the only grazer, both at the knitting bag and at the fridge!

First down the catwalk we have the lovely, diminutive Lady Eleanor, finally off the needles. To recap, this wrap is based on the Lady Eleanor Shawl from Scarf Style knit in my own hand spun 50% silk 50% merino from Lisa Souza in the shade Wild Thing. I used about 250g in total, largely as my spinning was somewhat uneven and I managed to spin the skein where the purples predominate more thickly than that which is more blue heavy. It doesn't harm the overall effect I believe as I wanted it to have a rustic feel. For this reason I have also decided to leave it unblocked. especially because I think the back looks as good as the front and I don't want to lose the shapes and contours.

I am, actually quite thrilled with the way it has turned out. It is butter soft and just long enough to toss over my shoulder in what I hoped was a very chic and continental manner. I wore it to work today with my purple boiled wool jacket and a denim skirt feeling very pleased with myself. I must practice getting my satchel off without half strangling myself in my scarf before I go out in it again...

Moving on fro Lady E I am pleased to say that the Lavender Farm socks are finished! It really was touch and go whether I would run out of yarn, which technically I did about four rows from the end. I was just about to undo the cast off on the finished sock and start transfusing yarn until they balanced until I remembered I had a few metres of singles left on the bobbin so I plied it against itself and I managed to squeeze four more rows out of it. Hurrah! They are very warm and soft and look quite groovy in a Pippi Longstocking sort of way. I am now wondering if I can get away with wearing them with my long denim skirt and khaki suede Birkenstock clogs as they stay up pretty well but would they sag if I ran for a bus leaving me less like Pippi and more like Norah Batty.Can you see a theme developing here?Anyone else as prone to wardrobe malfunctions as me?

Grace and elegance may elude me, but I can spin yarn which comes close to those qualities. This is 100g or the Yarn Yard fibre club merino silk. It has to be my best spinning yet. There are about 400 metres there so it is coming up as a 4ply/fingering weight and I hope to end up with about 800 metres in all as I have 100g yet to spin. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions about patterns. I am having fun looking at patterns on Ravelry and burying myself in stitch dictionaries so will let you know what I decide. I've finished two projects so I'm sure I deserve to cast on right away!
Recently I have been rummaging around in the Yarn Archive as the Golders Green knitters are holding a stash swap in a couple of weeks. Surrounded by so much of my precious yarn, my blood suddenly ran cold. What if the moths came?

My little niece gave me a lovely lavender bag made by a friend of my sister, all beautifully embroidered and beaded for Christmas. It's lovely but it's JUST ONE BAG! It would be like defending myself from a barbarian horde with a fruit knife! An industrial sized stash needs industrial sized thinking so I bought 500g of lavender and a huge pile of organza bags of the type used for wedding favours and got busy with the spoon.


Here is a small platoon of my purple army. Go get 'em boys!

17 comments:

Jeanne said...

Love the scarf - and how nice that its using handspun!

Nikki said...

all of it's beautiful!! I love the yarn you're currently spinning.

franney said...

Luvvin the Lady E, i've worn mine a couple of times now and it's stretched lengthwise a bit and is about 6 feet long now :oD
I also love the lavender bags, what a good idea nd your stash must smell wondeferful, i'd be rummaging in it even more just for the smell :o)

vi said...

your spinning is coming along wonderfully well

very very impressive, as if you been spinning since childhood


i spun some rough singles for a lady eleanor, in a sort of teal kind of blended color...
then decided i am too short and fat for a stole of that size.
which is a shame really as i love it


vi

Queen of the froggers said...

Lady E is gorgeous. I am going to conquer entrelac this year!

DianeM said...

Ooooh I need a purple army! Where can I get those little bags?

Your blue yarn turned out gorgeous :-)

yogicknitter said...

I keep meaning to do something with the lavender that is growing in my garden each year. Now I know what to do. The scarf is beautiful too.

KnittingJenny said...

Jane, that's such a great idea about the lavender and organza bags!!! And thanks for sharing the info re. Chappy's sock blockers. I have sock blocker envy now!

K. said...

That bowl of lavender is lovely! I can almost smell it. I love your scarf. It is absolutely beautiful!

stash haus said...

Love the scarf - I agree with not blocking it - I think it makes it more interesting.

Is it solely lavender you put in the bags? I wonder if cedar blocks would also work.

LittleBerry said...

Lady E has come out beautiful and you had me LOL picturing you strangling yourself with stachel... I like the socks too..

Your merino/silk is coming up beautiful I was going to leave mine until I change my wheel but after seeing yours I think I might do it a bit sooner... but please we need details of your spinning.... :)

Ann-Marie said...

oh wow.
your scarf, handspun, socks and lavender are just beautiful!!!

missmalice said...

Beautiful Jane. My oh my.

picperfic said...

I got a bargain load of Noro Transitions to make a Lady Eleanor, however, yours is just stunning, what a talented lady you are!

Saffron said...

What a love purple haze :) and all the blue in this post. :D

Those socks look soft and warm and I love your handspun.

Congrats on completion of Lady E. She's beautiful. I just recently learn garterlac so I know Entrelac (and my own Lady E) aren't far behind.

and Mmmmm... lavender. Love that scent!

Malin said...

I love your purple projects :-) I think I need some lavender bags too.

I have given you an award. Come and see: http://tinyurl.com/2hm75u

Anni said...

Just love the Lady E. Gorgeous. that's my ambition. To spin yarn and knit a beautiful shawl/wrap with it.