Sunday, 20 January 2008

A positive paragon of self control, well, almost...well, actually not at all...

I'm terribly proud of myself as I haven't much to show you right now in terms of knitting progress. Not that I haven't been knitting, I've just been sticking to my existing projects (mostly) and who wants to see a couple more inches of a scarf or sock? Zzzzzzz............

First I'll answer a couple of questions. Diane asked about the lavender bags. I bought the lavender from these people. The organza bags came from someone selling off extra bits and pieces from her own wedding but they can be bought from the lavender suppliers or from other sellers on EBay a little less cheaply.

It is only lavender in the bags but if anyone knows of a good source of cedar chippings I'd be grateful. I wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to outwit the winged foe should they have the temerity to approach my address.

Now to the first of my small confessions. I have been trying to hold hard on the stash enhancement as I already have an elegant sufficiency but alas the will is weak. Can you blame me when you see this?

I enjoyed spinning the blue and silver Yarn Yard merino silk roving so much that when Natalie put up these beauties in her shop I was lost. Here we have 200 g of Menthe and 100g of Victoriaah! na. I think they might make a very lovely Lady E but I'm not leaping into spinning them in case I have a better idea. Any thoughts?

Next is last month's Yarn Yard sock club offering. I know I keep saying this but I think that this really is my favourite yet. It makes me think of faded Moroccan carpets, deserts and campfires and am already toying with some ideas.

My last yarn shot is Yarn Yard again, this time merino in a colour called Chutney with a co-ordinating skein very kindly added as an un-birthday present. Just the thing to lift these dark, dreary days. I have plans for this too and have been swatching already (oops....) hence the fact that I wound two of them into skeins before I had even photographed them!


Finally, I just couldn't resist starting just one little project. It's a real pleasure, even in the midst of trying to develop my own design style, to spend some time working on a sock pattern written by a real expert. These are Evelyn Clark's Waving Lace socks from Interweave Press's Favourite Socks. I'm using Lorna's Laces in their almost solid Cranberry. I'm enjoying both pattern and yarn. I never ceased to be amazed at what lovely and complex looking designs can be achieved by the careful placements of yarn overs, k2togs and ssk. The yarn being a hand dyed almost solid has just enough movement to add another dimension to the pattern. I know that some people find Lorna's Laces a little stringy but I love its closely spun texture which gives really crisp stitch definition, particularly with lace patterns.


So as you can see, I may not have been the paragon of virtue that I aspired to be - but I promise you, I could have been a whole lot worse!

8 comments:

Patti said...

aaargh! Get thee behind me! I'm trying not to buy any yarn until easter. But I want to make these socks and nothing I have quite fits. I do like Lorna's laces and now you have shown me the yarn I need. Must not buy , must not buy.

PS all of your new stash is beautiful, I had to de-lurk to tell you. Enjoy

Queen of the froggers said...

I love the yarn yard colours!

LittleBerry said...

A lovely bright start today reading your post with all those beautiful colours especially when it's grey, dark and very wet here in the 'North'... I did the same with the silk/merino fibre and I bought Mille :o) Somethings just have to be done.....

picperfic said...

oooh...those socks are beautiful, I must get myself a sock blocker, it shows them off well. I am hedging more towards almost solid yarns right now, they are easier to choose a pattern for, too busy and you've had it! lol

Auntie Noo said...

Love the yarn yard colours, and really like those socks!

Mandella said...

The problem with monogamous knitting is it doesn't give me much to talk about, but you've found plenty.

Those Yarn Yard colours are simply sumptuous.

I keep seeing Waving Lace socks, so much so I think they're going in my queue. And I too like Lorna's laces. Until I found Posh Yarn it was my favourite for socks.

K. said...

Those colors are all so pretty. I especially love last month's sock club colors. I love anything red!

Anni said...

Love that roving and the yarns. Gorgeous colours.