Tuesday, 8 January 2008

Open the box!


I won't bore you with the story of how surprised and delighted I am that this parcel has finally arrived, since the order was placed and shipped in August... Suffice to say that the delivery was not made on the appointed day but had been attempted on Christmas Eve by which time I was far away in the bosom of my family. However, they had the presence of mind to leave it at my local post office which meant that I could pick it up myself on Saturday - hurrah! Let's not delay any longer - what's inside?

Blockers! Long blockers, short blockers, big blockers, small blockers, sock blockers, glove blockers, rabbit blockers, hedgehog blockers. Blocker heaven. A huge thanks to Chappy for these wonderful objects and for sharing the frustration of their multiple crossings of the Atlantic. The delivery company in question must take responsibility for their larger than necessary carbon footprint...
To be honest, I rarely use them to actually block socks but they are useful for displaying and photographing my socks and are particularly handy for teaching sock knitting.Their arrival is quite timely as I am pleased to say that I have just been asked to teach a sock class at IKnit (see under new classes) in Vauxhall, South London in February. So if you want to find out what this sock knitting malarkey is all about or if you just want to spend some time in the company of a true sock geek please sign up - I'll be delighted to meet you and share my enthusiasm.

Another big thank you to Chappy for the thoughtful gift of these lovely stitch markers. I particularly like the set on the left which read, 'Laugh, wish, love, inspire and imagine'.



Notwithstanding the excitement around the final arrival of the parcel, knitting has been happening. I have finished the Komi Mittens. I love these mittens and was terribly disappointed when we didn't have any snow last week to give me a chance to debut them. Here they are sitting in what would appear to be my favourite shrub although to be fair, in the winter garden there isn't a great deal of choice!



Mitten love hasn't managed to completely dislodge sock knitting from my affections. Here is the first Tarra Bulga sock. I am quite pleased with it although the stitch pattern appears to bias a little. I hope that when I block them (did I tell you I had new sock blockers?),that they will straighten out a bit.

Coming back to work after a lovely restful break has been a real shock to the system. Even though the pattern in the Tarra Bulga socks is easy to memorise, I have been so tired on my journey home that half asleep I have been knitting random stitches so have had to put them to one side temporarily and do something Really Simple. Enter my latest Yarn Yard Fibre Club hand spun. I divided the skein in half and am knitting some absolutely plain toe up socks so that I use up every crumb of the yarn. It is also an excuse to debut my Really Long Blockers. The yarn is a little uneven in places and the striping is somewhat irregular but they are turning into some lovely soft socks, much less harsh than my previous, rather over spun socks - so there's progress. The colours remind me of a lavender farm that I once passed with the vibrant rows of lavender interspersed with paths and grassy borders so they have become my Lavender Farm socks. They are so simple and soothing but engaging that I managed to get through this evening's journey without nodding off.

I'm wondering how high I can make them...

10 comments:

natalie said...

When we eventually meet up again I insist upon a toe-up tutorial AND a short row heel tutorial.

Hah! And you thought we were going to Stringfellows, didn't you?

n

PS the glove blockers are... well, "interesting".

LittleBerry said...

you never fail to disappoint with your posts.... I love your Tara Bulga sock but I have to admit **blushes** it's the colour that really grabs me... my favourite favourite shades of green.... The mittens look great and I'm sure we'll have cold enough weather soon for you to try them out...

REally pleased for you regarding your teaching debut and I hope it goes well.... I look forward to the handspun socks.... I've spun for socks but not yet knitted any up...

Queen of the froggers said...

Look at the blockers! They are great in the wood. I love the green socks too.

Linda said...

OMG! Sock blocker heaven! And glove blockers too ......... I want some!! ;0)

I *love* your mittens, they really are fab. :0)

Mandella said...

At last, a parcel. And wasn't it worth waiting for? The mittens are splendidly gorgeous, and I'm in love with the Tarra Bulga sock. Off now to hunt for the pattern.

K. said...

I love that picot edge at the top of the Tarra Bulga socks. And the mittens are beautiful. As for the blockers. You have some serious blocking to do! Wow.

Thanks for comment on our dog, btw.

blog-blethers said...

Ooooh am so glad the box has arrived and what wonderful contents! Beautiful FO's too:)

Anni said...

Love the sock blockers. And the mittens. They're gorgeous. And the socks are great. It's all just fab.

picperfic said...

now all those blockers are impressive as are those socks made out of your homespun yarn..so pretty

kathryn said...

I love the pattern and colour of your Tara Bulgas.

And those blockers!! There should be a UK supplier.