Sunday, 13 January 2008

Grazing

Do you ever stand in front of the fridge, not really hungry, but pick away at enough bits and pieces for the calorific equivalent of a decent meal and still close the door feeling vaguely unsatisfied? I've been a little like that with my knitting over the last few days. I've done a few rows of this, a few rows of that but haven't particularly enjoyed it or had much to show for it.

Extending the dietary metaphor a little more, I know that there are admirable people who would snap themselves out of their ennui by setting themselves the equivalent of an 'Eat from your store cupboard challenge' and institute a firm programme of clearing up any long term works in progress before allowing themselves a new and attractive project.

Sadly, while that laudable creature is whipping up a wholesome lentil soup with all the old vegetables at the back of the fridge I am rummaging around in the recycling bag for one of the takeaway menus that drop through my letterbox every day to order something indulgent as a way of perking up my jaded palate. Did I ever pretend to be a role model?

So, whilst following a link to the Cornflower blog, in my opinion the most intelligent of the 'Knitting and lifestyle' blogs, I came across this simple ribbed scarf. Before I knew what I was doing I was rummaging in my stash and came up with a similarly beautiful skein of hand painted merino from the Yarn Yard and cast on this satisfyingly simple scarf as a bit of a pick me up. The colours remind me of all the beautiful shades of curry spices; golden turmeric, fiery chili, warm cumin and intense ginger. To remind myself of the self indulgence of casting on this project, what better than to call it my Tikka Masala Scarf? I chose to cast on 40 rather than 52 stitches as I wanted more length than width and am enjoying the play of the warm colours and the soft, springiness of the yarn. More healthy than a vindaloo...

Despite my minor domestic knitting slump it has been lovely to get back to my spinning wheel again, especially with the beautiful Yarn Yard merino silk roving from last month's fibre club. It is spinning up like a dream. I am hoping for a largely fingering weight yarn to knit a wrap that puts me in mind of flowing water with plenty of movement. Does anyone have a favourite pattern to suggest?
I had a lovely day yesterday with a newly formed group of spinning knitters in London. It was good to catch up with Diane, Alice and Ali again and lovely to meet Grit, Michaela and Jan. Once again I was struck not only by how pleasant the frends I have made through knitting are, but how intelligent, articulate and interesting knitters are, with fascinating lives beyond the bond of our craft. We are hoping to meet once a fortnight at each other's houses with plans for meetings in the park and fleece washing sessions in the garden when the weather is bright again. I am really looking forward to it. Thanks, Diane for the warm hospitality and chocolate cake!

My wheel isn't portable so I brought along my Lavender Farm socks which are at least knit from hand spun. I have been making good progress of them as they have been my travel project. I am now approaching the end of my ball of yarn and am having to decide whether I am going to have enough yarn to make a matching pair or whether I have to do a yarn transfusion from the other sock to even them up.
Wish me luck!

9 comments:

twellve said...

love the colors in your tikka masala scarf!

vi said...

when you come state side.......
maybe pick you up a small traveling wheel????


vi
enabler, knitter, spinner, chicken keeper, duck herder

Jeanne said...

The scarf is very pretty. Your handspun is gorgeous - what about the Swallowtail shawl?

stash haus said...

Love the tikka masala scarf. For the wrap - if you get enough yardage - see the Jeanie wrap from the winter '07 issue of Knitty.

Queen of the froggers said...

Your socks are good. The meet up sounded great, It is so good meeting new people.

scarletprincess said...

I really love the colours in your scarf! I have terminal startitis with rare remissions where I actually finish a project. I really understand your yarn 'nibbling'! Oh- loved your handspun too!

Mandella said...

I know what you mean about vaguely unsatisfying knitting. Normally that's how I feel when I've sat on the sofa for 2 hours with only 4 rows to show for it. My school report would say something like "Too easily distracted, lacks application".

I really like your Tikka Masala scarf. Very nice.

Regarding what I am choosing to call your alluvial wrap, what about going literal with Eunny Jang's River Stole? Fingering weight yarn would make it very cosy.

Ali said...

It was lovely to have spent time with you at Diane's, too! Your socks are looking lovely; I hope you get to finish them the way you want them.

The next time I'm at the spinning group I should be working on Karenina!

LittleBerry said...

Yes I graze too I liken myself to a plague of locust at times constantly eating but never full...

I love the scarf simple but so effective, sometimes I think we forget that simple can be better and strive to find fancy patterns which puts the yarn in the shade so to speak.

I love your lace yarn I haven't spun mine yet... I was thinking Eunny Jang's print o' the wave or Rivere rapids by fibre trends.... BTW what wheel do you have and how did you spin your silk?