Thursday, 24 January 2008

Finished objects pursued by a bear!

One of the ways in which knitting provides a precious sanctuary from the vicissitudes of real life is that if you keep knitting and don't let yourself get distracted by bright, shiny new projects, eventually you will have a bright, shiny new garment to show for it. Very little in my working or home life is that simple and rewards my efforts so generously.

Ta Da!
First up we have the Tarra Bulga socks. I think they have turned out rather handsomely. I can thoroughly recommend the yarn, Somoko by Fleece Artist. The wool and mohair in the blend make the sock very soft with a cosy haze and the silk makes the colours shine and glow. The stitch pattern gives a comfortable and well fitting sock.


The Tikka Masala scarf is also finished. It was just the project to re balance my knitting spirits. It was also just the project to take with me to Knitflicks at the Brixton Ritzy. Every third Saturday of the month there is a special showing of a film on current release where the lights are left on so that we can knit! This month's showing was No Country for Old Men, the new Coen Brothers film so my friend Anne and thought we'd go along. If you have a strong stomach I can thoroughly recommend this film. I am made of reasonably stern stuff but at one point I actually dropped my knitting and had to chase my ball of wool in and out of several rows of seats before we left. Any odd mistakes in the scarf are attributable to being put off my stroke by some particularly tense moment. I also recommend this film if, like me, your mental list of attractive older men includes Tommy Lee Jones who gave a fine performance.

Have you seen this magazine? Piecework is another publication from the Interweave stable and covers a range of needle arts, particularly from a historical and anthropological perspective. Every now and then, as in this case they dedicate an issue to knitting. As you can see from the front cover they have recreated some mittens with poetry knitted into them with notes on how to draw up a pattern for yourself. The minx in me would love to produce some beautifully knitted mittens in elegant colours with a saucy limerick knitted into them! What do you think?


They also have a pattern for knitting Roveniemi mittens which, whilst very pretty are made in possibly the most gratuitously complicated technique I have ever seen. I won't go into particulars but suffice to say it involves 14 small balls of wool all in play at once, tamed by skewering them all on a straight needle. Not something I will be subjecting myself to in the near future but fascinating nonetheless.

And finally...

This lady knits hats from bear fur. Words fail...

10 comments:

Nikki said...

very lovely socks!
YEAH on the limerick mittens!
BOO on the 14 small balls of wool...

and bear? BEAR? I'm almost afraid of how you go about getting bear to spin/knit...

Mia said...

I love the socks!!!! And the issue of Piecework isn't bad either.

Adrienne said...

Both projects look wonderful!

vi said...

go for it with the mittens
and maybe do the colors in shades of one color........
hahahahaha
vi

i baked today
whole wheat bread and pizza crusts
applebutter walnut muffins

Queen of the froggers said...

Lovely socks and scarf. I always wondered what piecework was about, might have to take a look!

Sussex Yorkie said...

Scarf and socks look fab, must get my finger out and finish something!

LittleBerry said...

love the socks... and I must look out for that issue of Picework when I'm next at Borders... I don't fancy spinning bair hair or getting close enough to gather some!!!!

Mandella said...

I still think those Tarra Bulga socks are luscious and they're even better now they're done.

As for those mittens, I am as taken by them as by the socks I've seen with the Pablo Neruda poem knitted in.

Just imagine what's going to happen to the guy in the photo if she pulls that bear's fur a mite too hard ....

Jeanne said...

Love the socks and scarf - and I'll have to check out the magazine!

Anni said...

Will have to get that mag I think.

Gorgeous socks.