Wednesday, 5 December 2007

Travelling

My needles have been on the move in more ways than one this week. I've just come back from five days in wild and wuthering Wales celebrating my niece's fifth birthday and have only narrowly avoided consuming my body weight in fridge cake - my sister is a culinary genius! Travelling means that I have had to concentrate on maximum entertainment from minimum wool. I really am doing my best not to overdo the knitting packing these days.

First, however we have a finished object to show off. Here are the Rose hip socks, done and dusted. Having had another look at this picture my photography skills are somewhat questionable, however. In my defense, the light is so miserably low at this time of year that I thought I would get my tripod out and have a go at using a slightly slower shutter speed. That worked reasonably well. What I have failed to grasp yet is how to avoid taking the photo at such an angle that the socks look like they are about to slide off the table. You will, of course be relieved to know that I discarded the shot that included the camera strap and the foot of the tripod.

Much of the knitting that I managed to do while I was away was on a secret project that I should be able to reveal in a week or so. Suffice to say it is probably my most exciting secret project to date...


Mind you, when children were in bed and we could have our fill of gloriously dreadful television I got quite a lot of work done on my Latvian mitts, including the sewing in of the squillion ends that are by far the biggest disadvantage of this knitting style. At least I haven't left the ends on both mitts to be done at once.

Knitters of a nervous disposition may wish to take a powder after reading this but while I was away the unthinkable happened... I ran out of the dark plum yarn before finishing the second mitt. I know.... I had to declare a state of emergency and BUY MORE YARN!!

There is a very respectably stocked wool shop in Aberystwyth called Clare's which had a good selection of Rowan and Jaeger, Brittany needles and Regia sock yarn so I chose a few balls of the Kaffe Fassett range. I have rather gone off the self striping and patterning yarns that I was so fond of when I first started sock knitting but these are rather a cut above the usual with Fassett's eye for colour and bands of varying width. In fact, after all the intricate stuff I have been doing recently it was just the thing for mindless train knitting. I have several outstanding requests for generic mansocks so this yarn was in the right place at the right time!


Finally, I have the yarn for my next project lined up - a bit more colour work I think. This is a new favourite of mine. Oxford Kitchen 4 ply in Stone and Willow. I love the shades that natural dying produces and for some reason am particularly in love with the creamy neutrality of the Stone. It is such a perfect foil for some of the retina blasting colours I have been using recently. A real balm for the eyes.

3 comments:

LittleBerry said...

I think the rosehip socks are great and those mittens are stunning, I'm looking forward to the "secret project"....

The KF socks look great which colourway are they? I've done a mirage and a landscape pair and much prefer the landscape pattern...

Jeanne said...

The rosehip socks are really pretty - I didn't notice the perspective of the picture until you mentioned it! The mitts - just so pretty! Do you like the KF yarn? Love the colorway!

Anni said...

Love that Kaffe Fassett yarn. May ahve to get some myself.