Saturday, 15 December 2007

Of generous friends and lifestyle fantasies

As I have probably said before, the greatest pleasure I have gained from being part of the online knitting community has been the generous and talented people that I have met. The picture below encapsulates both of those virtues. This morning I received an unexpected parcel with some beautiful Yarn Yard sock yarn in it with a note from my friend Elaine. She explained that she had taken the photo that you can see tucked behind the yarn on a cycle ride beside one of the networks of canals in London. Loving the colours of the grafitti she thought it would serve as a great inspiration for a yarn so.... She sent the photo to Natalie who designed this yarn based on the colours in the photograph - how clever is that? Thank you so much Elaine for your warm generosity and to Natalie for your beautiful yarn. I look forward to catching up with both of you in the new year.

Observant readers may have noticed that my fascination for socks and mitts and intricate colour work has meant that I have been working away on small needles most of the time recently. Sometimes this work needs to be interleaved with some larger scale, simple work. Rummaging around in my knitting bag I found just the thing. This long forgotten WIP. The soothing furrows of garter stitch below are from Truly Tasha's Shawl by Nancy Bush. It is a simple project, a triangular shawl which is made with an increase at the beginning of every row modestly decorated with a knitted on border. The yarn is one of my very favourites, Jo Sharp's Silkroad DK Tweed in a colour called Ambrosia. This yarn is a blend of merino, cashmere and silk and has a lovely blend of softness and tweediness - what more could I ask?


I have made a number of these shawls. I admit that sometimes I have a fancy of myself wafting around the house elegantly swathed in a shawl or lounging in the garden, grabbing a shawl when the evening chill arises. In truth, my at-home attire is usually whatever eccentric combination of pyjamas and wool might be closest at hand. Not much elegant wafting of languorous lounging happens in this house - but I have plenty of shawls with which to practise!

The purple shawl is in Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed and the red one is Rowan Yorkshire Tweed DK.

Finally, I have a finished object to share. The Latvian Mitts are finished. I am very pleased with them and enjoyed making them - apart from sewing in all the ends!


10 comments:

Saffron said...

Those shawls are beautiful! I love the colors, the purple one especially. Thanks for the link to the pattern!

Maggie said...

Wow, those mitts are truly colourful! :-) Love them!

All the best from chilly Liverpool

kathryn said...

What fantastic mitts!! I love the colours.

Queen of the froggers said...

I love the green shawl, it looks perfect fo rthis weather and the colour is yum!

natalie said...

I was sworn to secrecy for months about Elaine's Graffiti Club !

There may be a few others out there too...

n

Anni said...

The mitts are wonderful. Absolutely gorgeous and I love the colour of those shawls too.

I like having a cashmere shawl to hand to wrap myself up in when I get cold sitting down, watching telly and knitting in the evenings. Very cozy.

jmknits said...

Love the shawls - thanks for the link! The mitts are gorgeous - great colors.

jmknits said...

Love the shawls - thanks for the link! The mitts are gorgeous - great colors.

Hanne said...

I think I could make a shawl from my handspun. I've mastered the art of spinning aran weight (but nothing else!) by spinning singles which look like fingering weight so I'm searching for nice patterns. Thank you for the link!

sandra said...

Lovely mitts and shawls.
You are not alone in your "at home attire" PJs and sweats are great for chilling out (with fingerless mittens for the chillier mornings when you are the first up)