Tuesday, 18 December 2007

Labours bear fruit

I seem to have been spinning this Yarn Yard merino sock yarn for ever! I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the seductive steely merino silk that I am now free to devour...

I do love the way that this yarn barber poles randomly on itself and the colours blend beautifully. I plan to make some toe up socks with it so that I can make them good and long and use up every scrap. I can't wait to see how it knits up.

The yarn in the picture has yet to be set. I am hoping that if I give it a thorough pummelling and whacking it will even out more. Whilst it is much more balanced than my last sock yarn it is still more uneven than I would like. Perhaps it is because I have only had 15 to 20 minutes at a time to work on it and perhaps haven't got into an even rhythm. I may have to start counting treadles and brace myself to a bit of spinning theory!

I have, in the meantime started on another simple sock to while away my monstrous commutes to work. The watery winter morning light makes it difficult to convey the moist, luscious shades of green in this yarn which is Handmaiden Somoko, a rather decadent blend of merino,silk and mohair.
When I held this yarn in my hands it took me back to one of my favourite places in the whole world, Tarra Bulga National Park in Victoria, Australia. It is the most wonderful fragment of untouched temperate rain forest full of ancient trees and stately tree ferns creating a lush, atmospheric landscape.
I wanted to create a sock which reminded me of this landscape and chose the twisting, twining clematis that hangs in trees and bushes and contributes to the dappled light that filters through. The pattern is called waterfall stitch and is a simple six row repeat. Somehow, however, I can't seem to fix row four in my mind - I had to resort to writing it on the back of my hand to save carting the book on the bus this morning. Does that ever happen to you?


I will sign off with the customary finished object (I'm on a roll now!) Here are the finished Fassett mansocks - rather a smart addition to a dapper gentleman's wardrobe don't you think?

8 comments:

Nikki said...

oooo, I love both sets of socks AND the new yarn. I love new yarn... there's just something lovely about all of it

K. said...

Your handspun is SO beautiful! I really like the socks, too. What book are they in?

Queen of the froggers said...

Oh I love the greens in the handmaiden yarn! Great socks too.

LittleBerry said...

very nice socks... those greens are beautiful **sighs** I like the KF too I like uneven stripes.... The handspun is lovely which one wss it... the October club pencil roving?

kathryn said...

I've not seen the Somoko before. It looks lovely and a wonderful mix. I'm tempted...

And yes, I often have to resort to writing parts of a pattern down - not usually on my hands, I hadn't thought of that but my memory is definitly not what it was.

Anni said...

Gorgeous hand spun yarn and that Handmaiden yarn is to dye for. Love the finished socks too. Got pic of my new wheel on my blog now.

jmknits said...

Your handspun is gorgeous! Love both of the socks - the green yarn is very pretty.

knitography said...

Wow, the colours in the handmaiden yarn really are reminiscent of the greens in that picture you posted. I love a good temperate rain forest too - so lush and colourful! The colours in your handspun are beautiful as well. I'm sure it will knit up nicely.