Sunday, 9 December 2007

Inspirations and holiday knitting (sisters are not allowed to peep)

Such is the life of those of us who cannot be faithful to one project. Despite the fact that I have been beavering away on various projects I haven't got much to show that wouldn't just look like a few more inches of something I've shown you before.

Suffice to say, spinning has been happening and I am still resisting the siren call of the blue and grey merino silk I showed you the other day. I should finish the second bobbin of merino and be ready to ply very soon.

The entrelac scarf is now nearly as tall as me but needs a bit more length so that I can throw it over my shoulder with adequate drama.

I've started the second Fassett sock and every now again do a few rounds on my Thermal (yes, still plugging away on that old friend... )

I have started one new thing but more of that later.

I wanted to show you a couple of things that I am hoping will help me develop my skills. The first is this book:

It is a very pretty and well presented book with clear and simple technical information although it has the look of a coffee table book with lots of photography. The thing that I enjoy most as a beginner spinner is that is presented like a recipe book with a range of projects inspired by nature which give instructions for creating different yarns and effects from various types of fibre using different sorts of spinning techniques. I think that if I try a few of these projects it will help me to make the transition from the Janespinning that I am currently doing to understanding and controlling the way that I spin.

Here are a couple of examples:



I am also planning to attempt glove making - the thought of all those fingers is rather daunting so I thought a child sized version would be a good place to start! I love these vintage patterns from EBay although I'm not quite sure how that child is keeping the hat on...


Finally, the new project...

The warning at the beginning of this post is to make sure that my sister doesn't peep at her Christmas present. My sister had mentioned that she would really like a pair of fingerless mitts after seeing some that I was wearing last Christmas. When she saw my purple and gold Marvellous Mitts we decided that I would make a pair in a different palette for her. The cream and green yarn I showed you in my last post really gives a completely different effect but I like it very much. The blue faced Leicester is knitting up into a lovely silky soft fabric. I'd better get on with them, otherwise I will be wrapping them up on Christmas Eve, needles and all with an IOU for the rest of the knitting!


11 comments:

kathryn said...

I'm very envious of your spinning skills and that book looks exactly what I would need if I were ever brave enough to have a go!

I love the colours for your sisters mitts.

stitchwort said...

Beautiful colour combination in the mitt!

Hat held on child by either a suction cup or a nail?

Nikki said...

those mitts are just lovely too!!

Auntie Noo said...

The book looks great. and I love the colours of the newest mitts..... lucky sister!

Queen of the froggers said...

I do like the colours you have knitted the glove in. The spinning book looks nice too.

daisie said...

gorgeous colours in those mitts! and the book looks really interesting, I am looking forward to seeing what you create as you work through it!

LittleBerry said...

I love those mitts, green is my favoutrite colour....

Arianne said...

Christmas knitting makes me twitch! :)

I love your new gloves.

I borrowed that book from the library, but aside from the brief introduction I didn't think it was the most helpful. The pictures/projects are really inspiring though. :) Beautiful photos!

I do my own special spinning too...I'm sure it's the wrong way. :)

Jeanne said...

What a great book - I need to learn how to control my spinning as well. The mitts are so pretty - love the colors!

Anni said...

That looks stunning and I've looked at that book too and fancy getting it when I get a wheel.

katieh said...

OMG. That is my yarn!

*is seriously gobsmacked*

(i've been really head-in-the-sand just dyeing, and not hunting for what people are doing with my yarn - which is a bit scaredy-cat of me i guess. but WOW. They look amazing. It's like my little baby business is real or something!)

THANK YOU!