Saturday, 22 December 2007

A certain delivery company and I may no longer be friends...

Hurrah! No more work until January 2nd! Off to spend the time with my family - what fun we shall have, how much knitting I shall get done. All I have to do today is wait for a delivery from the aforementioned national carrier ,pack my bags and go! Hmmmm.... it's nearly four in the afternoon and I am still here. This is the end of a long saga with this company. Back in August, August I tell you, I ordered some more blockers from my favourite supplier in the US. Knee length, children's and most exciting of all, glove blockers! To cut this whingefest short, they have been back to the US once already and I have just paid £12 for the privilege of a Saturday delivery and nothing doing... I know this is probably a very busy day for them and they may well yet turn up but I want to go home! In the meantime, let's talk about yarn.

I have now set the hand spun that I showed you in my last post. It does look a lot better and it's the first thing I shall put in my knitting bag for the journey. So far so good.


As I have said before, I am very keen to tackle some of these traditional mitten and glove styles. In go these three books.

Whilst I have narrowed down the patterns that I want to start on and the colour schemes, I may find I need to revise my choices so it is probably a good idea to pack plenty of colours...

Even the most optimistic knitter of infinite speed and dedication might begin to feel that their family might consider them some sort of knitting fanatic if they were to exercise the sort of exclusion of other activities to enable them to get all this knitting done so some sort of diversion is in order. I know - indoctrinate ,I mean teach the children!

I have bought them some children's needles and some red and green yarn and am planning to teach them to make some of these . I was thinking to get them to do a simple piece of garter stitch for the bodies and I would make the hats. The family just need to drink the wine! That'll divert them from my habits.


It also occurs to me that all that intricate work and teaching may require a bit of mindless knitting to break things up a bit so an odd skein of organic cotton to make a washcloth can be squeezed into the bag somewhere. This is lovely stuff, a gorgeous avocado green which is a colour bred in the cotton rather than dyed and is very soft - perfect for sensitive skin.

Finally, no finished object today but it isn't for the want of trying - my sister's Christmas mitts - I'm sure I could have finished them by now if I hadn't had to tear out a large portion for messing up the star on the back of the hand. More haste less speed but I am determined that they will be finished before Christmas!

I'd better sign off now and see how much of my enormous wool supply I can squeeze into my bag. I'm not sure whether I will be able to get internet access while I am away so may I take this opportunity of wishing everyone the compliments of the season and look forward to many more woolly adventures in 2008!


9 comments:

Anni said...

The handspun is just gorgeous. I'm hoping my spinning will look that good soon.

Have a lovely Christmas and a nice holiday. Hope your parcel turned up.

natalie said...

Nicely thwacked yarn, Jane.

Take pics of small people's knitting too, won't you? I think you have the right sort of amount of yarn with you. They may prove to have your knitting genes and you may come home with an empty bag. Heavens, you may need to visit a Yarn Shop!

n

stash haus said...

Your handspun is lovely! Happy Christmas! Have a wonderful holiday with the family.

kathryn said...

Your yarn requirements for a trip away sound like mine!! In fact my luggage bag and knitting bag have undergone a role reversal unbeknown to dh, so no raised eyebrows there! My 8 year old grandson is a knitting beginner and my daughter is a new convert and obviously an ally so I won't be considered anti-social in my corner.

Hope you have a Very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year

Auntie Noo said...

Your mitts look fab and I hope they get finished in time. Have a fabulous Christmas.

picperfic said...

Hope the package arrived! Your pile of yarn looks very interesting and your sister's mitts look so beautiful!

Mandella said...

Hello, this is my first visit to your blog, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

I hope your parcel did arrive, it's so frustrating when they don't and so disappointing on Christmas Day.

That skein of organic cotton is beautiful.

Good luck with the corks!

Littlelou said...

Hi. I have neglected my own blog somewhat lately but love reading others!! Love that wool..wow. Also may I ask where you purchased the kids pony needles from?.I want some!
Merry Xmas

Louise x

vi said...

hey hihi
i wondered where you got up to

vi