Friday, 9 November 2007

Surprised by a gentleman in the shrubbery

It is fair to say that when it comes to knitting, I find those 19th century values of fidelity, constancy and perseverance somewhat lacking in my character. However, when I am gripped by a project I am capable of working on it to the exclusion of all others until I have seen it through.

So it has been with the end paper mitts. They have been a real joy to knit. I am really pleased with the colour combination, it gives the mitts an almost medieval quality. This is the first time that I have been satisfied with the fabric I have produced using a stranded technique. However, were I to make them again I think I would do a folded picot edge as the ribbing, certainly using this yarn, Jamiesons Spindrift, has a slightly 'unfinished' look compared with the opulent density of the colour work sections. I haven't blocked them so the fabric may yet bloom.


The other inducement that I have had to apply myself to what is for me, a complex project requiring a level of consistency and concentration is the recent discovery of Craftlit, a podcast for crafters who like books. It has been around for a couple of years. I heard mention of it some time ago but finally got round to listening to it this last weekend. The presenter, Heather Ordover, has a very deft touch, weaving life, craft and intelligent but accessible literary criticism around readings from classic books. Her serialisation of Pride and Prejudice was quite addictive and was responsible for me reclining on my chaise longue ( or in my case, saggy old sofa) for way more hours than is good for me in the company of Mr Darcy and my end paper mitts. I have a substantial stock of back episodes to get through so the television hasn't been on for a week in my house. My knitting and vocabulary are improving daily.

In fact my stranded colour work has improved so much my ambition is running miles ahead of it so I can't wait to show you the project I have embarked upon now...

5 comments:

picperfic said...

I am eager to make those endpaper mitts too. Yours look gorgeous and I love the colours! I am just off to investigate this podcast too. Now where did I bury my chaise-longue???.....

LittleBerry said...

those look great I love the colour combination.... I look forward to your next project....

natalie said...

Beeeeehave!

You can't say things like that, s'not fair.

n

Queen of the froggers said...

They are lovely mitts and I am wondering what you are knitting now!

Arianne said...

What colourways did you use? I just love them!

But aren't they itchy? I find Jamieson's a bit itchy...though they might soften after a wash?