Tuesday, 27 November 2007

Still whirling

Now I'd hate for you to think that I am so consumed by mitten love that my enthusiasm for spinning had lapsed. Oh dear no. When it comes to the fibre arts I am shamelessly promiscuous.

There may be some of you with gym memberships and quantities of Lycra clothing. Not me. I have embarked upon a quite different form of fitness regime. Every so often during a happy evening's knitting I might prise myself from the comfy corner of the sofa for an invigorating spin on the wheel - so much more productive than an exercise bike! It's surprising how much yarn a health fanatic like me can produce!


I have been steadily working away on the Lady Eleanor, such that I have had to spin up another skein of the predominantly purple. As you can see, I spun the purple up rather more thickly than the blue so they have been consumed at a somewhat differential rate. Luckily, the entrelac is very forgiving of the unevenness of yarn weight which just adds to its abstract quality. The stole is now about a metre and a half long. I think I need another metre for a really big swishy scarf. Looks like I might be able to spin away a few more grams of flab before I'm finished!


Once the purple merino silk had cleared the bobbin I set about the October Yarn Yard fibre which is a lovely space dyed merino pencil roving. I think it will make lovely socks so I am spinning it up fairly thinly and will ply it on itself for a barber pole ragg wool effect which I enjoy in socks. However, it is taking all my self control not to tear this bobbin off the wheel so that I can start on this....

Merino silk roving which is the November Yarn Yard fibre club offering. I have to say that tears almost came to my eyes when I saw this. It is absolutely beautiful, both in colour and texture. The roving is dyed all over in a luminous silver grey then over dyed in sky blue and teal. Simply perfect.

11 comments:

Nikki said...

I do so miss having a wheel. Thank goodness I'm going to get the new one this weekend :)

your colors are very lovely!

Queen of the froggers said...

I chuckled at your excersise routine! Much better than a gym! The colours are lovely.

picperfic said...

I could do with an exercise routine! I am eager to make that Lady Eleanor wrap, there is something magical and soothing about knitting entrelac....mind you I have only made an entrelac dishcloth so far! lol

Auntie Noo said...

ooooooh it's all just so lovely!!! makes you feel warm and snug doesn't it?!

Hanne said...

The November roving is truly lovely. It made me decide to join fiber club when my sock club ends. Did you choose the 100g or 200g option?

Jeanne said...

Very pretty - makes me want to go spin - I haven't spun in the longest time...

Maggie said...

Wow, lovely stuff! :-) Please keep posting your spinning, I so want to get back to it. Your spinning adventures are inspiring to me. Thank you!

Best wishes from Liverpool

Anni said...

Love the Lady Entrelac and the colours are just stunning. I may have to get a spinning wheel after all. I need to embark on an exercise regime and this ounds just like my kind of thing.

littlelixie said...

I use your example of healthy living as a template for my life ;p

Saffron said...

I was wondering how Lady E was doing. :) Thanks for the update!

Arianne said...

Wow! Your spinning is beautiful!! So is your Lady Eleanor! What wheel do you have again?

Also, have you joined the "Spun Stitches" blog? It's about spinning yarn and knitting a shawl/scarf/stole from it. I'm still spinning. (Spindles are slooow...) I'm a member!