Tuesday, 13 November 2007

More knitters than you can shake a needle at!

Along with several hundred knitters I went to the I Knit S 'n B day in central London on Saturday. Now I am a veteran of a number of knitting events and I have to say that I can't remember enjoying myself more. There was music, entertainment, classes, talks, retail therapy but the most important thing was that there was space and opportunity for knitters to mingle and talk. Over half the space was given over to places for us to sit and do what we like to do best, knit, chat, gloat, enable, catch up with old friends and just be somewhere that gets why we love to knit! A huge thank you to Gerard and Craig for organising it and for having the confidence and insight to know what knitters want and to make it work.

The Golders Green Knitters were out in force. it was also wonderful to catch up with dozens of knitters, too numerous to mention from the different parts of my knitting life, Skipnorth, the Knitterati, The Knitting and Crochet Guild to name but a few. A special hello to Franney and Aunty Noo from the Crafty Threads and Yarns forum who I met for the first time in person. Within five minutes we were chatting away as if we had known each other for years. Knitting's like that...

Despite bringing my camera with me, I managed to take a grand total of one photograph. I give you the I Knit 'Knit a River' , the world's first knitted petition, made by thousands of knitters as a campaign tool for Water Aid, who work for access to clean water for the millions of people who don't get to take turning on the tap for granted. I had no idea how big it had got - I wonder where my square is...

Because there were so many people to talk to and things to do, despite there being plenty of stalls with glorious fibres, yarns and knitterly paraphernalia, my haul is modest.

This gorgeous Blue Faced Leicester in a pinky brown semi solid colour is from Pixeldiva, who I have known since she was a beginner knitter! It's great to see the lovely stuff she is producing.

Blue Faced Leicester seems to be a recurrent theme as this sock yarn is naturally dyed, 100% BFL from Oxford Kitchen Yarns . I could have quite happily bought up their entire stock, the colours are so translucent and complex.

However, I haven't touched them yet as I continue to be obsessed with my Marvelous Mitts. I have now finished the right hand one. It fits absolutely perfectly and I love how the colour combination has worked. Although the purple is more solid than the yellow, it has enough movement in it to give the whole mitt a slightly handspun quality to it. I am indecently pleased with this mitt. I had no idea that with a bit of patience and concentration I could produce something that looks so complex and beautifully shaped. You can have no idea of the flight of fancy I am having about my next project!

I have already cast on for the second mitt and won't be disappointed by a cold snap should one arise...

12 comments:

Karendipity said...

Wow, Jane, that sounds like so much fun. However, I am actually posting because I am so anxious to see your finished work!! Photos soon? Karen

Auntie Noo said...

Wow one finished already????? - It looks fab. I have 2 WIP's I MUST finish first and then I'm going to do these! it was great to meet you on Saturday - and look forward to seeing you again this Saturday!

LittleBerry said...

wow quick knitter, looks lovely those colours are so classy together....

natalie said...

Are you going to do the gloves too?

I wasn't able to knit any of mine last night and I am feeling quite deprived today.

n

Adrienne said...

Looks great! you are a fast knitter! LOL

murdo said...

As always your projects are gorgeous...that mitten is a work of art. You also must knit in your sleep!!!!!

Missmalice said...

Beautiful!!

Nikki said...

I'll have you know, it's all your and Natalie's fault. I just bought the pattern. I couldn't keep watching y'alls mitts develop. Now to find the perfect yarn... :)

Angie said...

those mitts are fab, may just have to add them to my que!!

picperfic said...

love those mitts...really I do!

I should have paced myself at AllyPally...I spent far too much there so I gave this show a miss....next year i will behave and visit both, I hope!

blog-blethers said...

It sounds like a wonderful day and so good to see the 'knitted petition'.

I just love your fingerless mittens ... what glorious colours!

Arianne said...

I love those mittens! And the SnB day was great fun!

I'm jealous of your Oxford Kitchen Yarns!