Wednesday, 21 November 2007

Grand Passion

It's official. I have been seized by mitten mania. They are such wonderful, small projects, the perfect place to experiment with new techniques, to be playful with colours and delicious yarns. The most sober of winter outfits can be livened up with a flash of multicoloured mitt. The significant advantage over socks being that they can be surreptitiously admired by the wearer at all times without the need to make obvious contortions or shed footwear.

The Marvelous Mittens are finished. I can't speak highly enough of this pattern and would recommend it to anyone planning to take the plunge with stranded colour work. Using only two colours at once and letting the yarn do all the work gives an effect way more complex than might be expected. The variegation, particularly in the Strange Harvest colourway of the Smooshy has added a really attractive dimension to the appearance of the pattern. Can you tell I'm chuffed to pieces with these mitts? I'll be quiet now...

They have inspired me to take a further step...

... working with on more than two colours in a project! These are the Latvian Mittens from Veronik Avery's new book Knitting Classic Style . As I didn't have the yarn called for, I substituted Jamieson's Spindrift from my stash. I think I did a much better job than my previous attempts at choosing and placing colours as I am happy with the way the mitten looks. The colors are distinct but none of them is elbowing the others out of the way in a bid to be noticed.This mitten is complete apart from edging the thumb and turning up the hem. I made it slightly longer than the pattern suggests and work a row of decreases into the cast off to stop the edge flaring which seems to have done the trick.

We're expecting a cold snap at the weekend - which mitts shall I wear first?

17 comments:

Nikki said...

all of your mittens are beautiful!!! I can't wait to start my Marvelous Mitts! (still yarn hunting...)

pixeldiva said...

I think there's something in the water - I've been well and truly bitten by the stranded colourwork bug.

I think I might have caught it from you.

Your marvelous mitts are, well, truly marvelous!

Auntie Noo said...

They look fab!

I'd wear them all on 10 minute rotations!!!!

LittleBerry said...

they look great.... love your choice of colour combinations, how long before we get one of your designs???

RooKnits said...

oooh they are lovely. I think some stranded colourwork mittens should definitely be next on my list.

Jeanne said...

Wow - love them both - great colors and just too cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi from Chicago!
They are fabulous. I love the bronze and purple combination.

n

Maggie said...

Lovely, lovely mittens! I don't think I'm up to multi-coloured work yet, but definitely tempted by these goodies!

Best wishes from Liverpool

murdo said...

Your mittens are so beautiful!Honestly, they look like something out of a magazine's write up on artisans. And I cannot believe your rate of production!!!!!! Stepford wives eat your heartout!

K. said...

I was going to say you'll have wear both at once if it is a cold snap, but then you wouldn't be able to see one pair. The only thing left to do is wear one of each of them. I always love colorwork.

Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Beautiful!

Dianne said...

I hitch-hiked over via Nikki..your Mitts are just gorgeous..the colors are most lovely.

serenknitity said...

I love your choice of colours and also cannot believe how prolific you've been. And I'm with you on how one can show off one's handiwork without removing one's footwear.

sarah said...

I just LOVE the colours in this! so beautiful. I fund you through yarnstorm, I am the tea jenny, you are the teapot annie!

blog-blethers said...

Another beautiful pair! I'd want to be an octopus so that I could wear them all at once:)

Anni said...

Stunning mittens. I'm so immpressed.

Arianne said...

I love them! Where did you get this Marvellous pattern?