Tuesday, 30 October 2007

Umbrian rooftops

What with all this finishing of projects, the other morning, with five minutes before I was due to leave the house, I realised that I had no portable, mindless knitting to put in my bag. With no time to get out the swift and ball winder I had to make a lunge at whatever pre-wound ball of yarn could be rummaged from the sock yarn box. Voila! A ball of Cherry Tree Hill Super Sock in a colourway called Serengeti.

I have had this yarn for about three years and tried to make something complicated from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road with it before I learned that busy hand painted yarns can look like a present left on the carpet by the cat if the pattern isn't properly selected. Burdened with this unpalatable image this yarn has lain forgotten. With no time to prevaricate I grabbed the ball and a set of needles and ran for the train.

As we chugged along on a grim, grey morning through the less than inspiring regeneration of the London Docklands my mind mercifully wandered back to my recent visit to Umbria and the beautiful relationship between light and colour and shape in some of the things I had seen there. Looking at the yarn in my hands as I completed a basic ribbing I was reminded of the views out across rooftops in the various medieval hill towns that I had visited and the way that even repeatedly repaired buildings were beautiful because of rather than despite their longevity and changes of use.

It occurred to me that if I used a simple waffle rib I could recreate something of the effect of the Umbrian rooftop views and bring just a little bit of the late summer warmth of Italy into my dreary early morning commute.

Looks like this yarn was in the right place at the right time.

10 comments:

stitchwort said...

Is that 3 rows of 2x2 rib and a row of knit?
It mixes the colours nicely.

kathryn said...

You have an amazing yarn and pattern matching talent!! The yarn is transformed.

Woollywarbler said...

The rib mixes the colours up beautifully looking exactly like those tiles...I see you getting a book together sometime in the future for all your lovely sock patterns ;)

pixeldiva said...

It's funny how often I find that a lack of yarn choice due to poor planning results in something I'd probably not have come up with if I had all the time in the world to consider my stash.

Which reminds me. I should really wind some more of my skeins into cakes - just in case! :)

Adrienne said...

WOW, that is really beautiful!

Serenknitity said...

Lovely colours - and a beautiful holiday pic. You'll think of your trip every time you pull on those socks!

Queen of the froggers said...

The colours are lovely, very autumnal too!

Nikki said...

those socks are great! and will always remind you of your trip :)

Hannah said...

What a wonderful match! And a great holiday memory.

Donna B said...

Chiming in to say you are too cool. Love the way you match life, color, and stitches!