Sunday, 21 October 2007

Photo Finish

I have noticed that one of my knitting habits seems to be that whilst I like to have multiple projects on the needles, quite often I will reach the end of a number of them all at the same time so today I have several finished objects to show.

I teach an occasional sock class at Loop which is always great fun. We finished one recently. It was wonderful to see the socks produced by Sandra, Hannah, Tricia, Henrietta and Enrico and to draw them gently into the world of sock knitting. I really enjoyed the class and think that they did too. Henrietta has told me that she is on her second pair already. Just to prove that I try to teach by example, I have also finished my class socks. They are knit in a Lana Grossa jacquard yarn which was fun as I haven't knit with self patterning yarn for a long time.

Loop and I arrange a sock class whenever we have enough people expressing an interest in learning to knit socks. So long as you can cast on, knit,purl, increase and decrease then the class is fine for you. We work over three sessions of an hour and a half where we go through the basic elements of top down knitted socks but we look at loads of other things too, yarns, following and writing patterns, different ways of constructing socks. By the end of the class everyone knows I am completely obsessed but we do have a lot of fun.If you feel like joining the craziness please contact Loop - we'd love to meet you.

I also finished the socks in Wild Orchid from the Knittery.I absolutely love the way these socks have turned out and am definitely keeping them for myself. They have a picot edge and an offset slip stitch heel flap which I think shows off the yarn to its best advantage. The Knittery yarn is dyed by Daphne in Victoria, Australia. I have spent a lot of time in Victoria with friends who study and grow native orchids and can say that the colour combination really evokes some of these beautiful and interesting plants. Daphne and I are working on a project at the moment. Watch this space...

Speaking of Australian influences I have finished the St Kilda Gelato mitts just in time for the change in the weather. I made these from my own hand spun blue faced Leicester which was dyed by Natalie at the Yarn Yard using the same stitch pattern that I used for the Cornish Scallop socks. I am very happy with these mitts. They are warm and fuzzy soft and I love the way the stitch moves the colour changes in the yarn in ripples.

On the subject of hand spun, I don't often show repeated progress shots as I don't want to bore readers but I make no apologies for gloating over the progress of my Lady E. I am delighted with the way it is coming out - very soft and drapy. I am enjoying how the two yarns move away from each other colour wise and then come together giving a lovely effect across the wrap.

Finally, I'm making good progress on writing up and finishing the second of the Have you Checked your Breasts socks. I have reworked the heel flap pattern to make it look a lot more clear and even so am on schedule for getting the pattern uploaded before the end of the month.

Busy, busy, busy!

10 comments:

LittleBerry said...

I know what you mean about finishing projects together.... I love the LG 'Meetings' pattern it has to be one of my favourite patterns it looks great in anyy of the colourways....

I do like the other socks too especially the colourway in the Knittery pair..... Lady E is giving me ideas when my spinning is up to your standards....

hannahbridges said...

Hi Jane, Hannah from the sock workshop here. Just wanted to let you know that I too am on my second pair of socks. Was inordinately pleased with myself for the first pair and have been showing off to all and sundry! Thanks for your encouragement. I can, and do, thoroughly recommend your class at Loop.

My only problem now is that I appear to be addicted to sock knitting, and therefore, to sock yarn. I need to get a grip before I bankrupt myself! ;) enjoyable though.

Adrienne said...

WOW! Your projects are amazing!

daisie said...

Those mitts are Gorgeous!

Missmalice said...

Love the Lady E!!!

Saffron said...

O. M. G. Lady E is GORGEOUS! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Hello Jane, I just wanted to say how lovely your sock patterns are. Also I love the wooden sock blockers - where did you find them?

I would love a pair but cant find any as nice as those in the UK

KnittingJenny said...

As always, your sock knitting is amazing. Just amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Queen of the froggers said...

I love your socks. I also love The Knittery Yarn and am so sad that I didn't know about it until after we had moved back to the UK, otherwise the container would have been full of their yarn and not furniture!! Our rellies used to live in St Kilda too! Great mits x

Cazzie said...

Love the St Kilda Gelato Mitts - any chance you would share the pattern?