Wednesday, 24 October 2007

Of Socktopi and woolly jumpers

As promised, here is the final shrine to my acquisitiveness from the Ally Pally Bacchanalia. The Socktopus haul. Although strictly speaking this yarn was ordered before the event and only picked up there I shall not take refuge behind semantics.

It is beautiful though isn't it? For us inhabitants of these sceptred isles, Alice has found our Achilles heel. (Now that has to be a name for a sock pattern...) She has contrived to bring to our very doorsteps yarns which we have up until now only been able to lust after from afar on our overseas friends' blogs or coughed up enormous shipping charges to obtain.

The above represents a pick n'mix of yarns that I have always wanted to try. From left to right we have... Somoko and Kasbah from Fleece Artist, Shelridge Farms solids and hand paints, Smooshy from Dream in Colour and Evolution by Chameleon Colourworks. In centre stage we also have Cat Bordhi's New Pathways for Sock Knitters book which I have been stalking for ages. There are eight new sock architectures in it which speak to the sock geek in me who wants to try each one immediately. A winter of migrating gussets awaits this sockaholic.

And just to prove that I do occasionally produce a garment with proper grown up sleeves and buttons and everything, here is my finished hoodie. It's huge and woolly and all enveloping and makes me wish for cold crisp autumnal days when I can bundle up in it and go swishing through fallen leaves. Much as I mourn the passing of the longer days, rejoice as we enter the woolly season!

4 comments:

Queen of the froggers said...

The yarns look lovely and don't Soctopus wrap and deliver so well too! The hoodie is a lovely colour.

picperfic said...

ooooh yum! I joined Soctopus's sock club last week, I have hankered after joining one for a while but they always seem to be fully subscribed..I am in love with Alice's shop! I got some Koigu at the show, now I have to think of what to make with it! Socks maybe lol

LittleBerry said...

nice haul, tht beautiful lime green keeps singing to me and its the only one my eyes keep going back to....

Nikki said...

They're all so pretty!!! I can't wait to see them grow into socks.

and your hoodie is great! That's actually my next sweater project (and darn! I'll have to buy new yarn!! ;)