On my second attempt I used some lovely Elsebeth Lavold Silky wool in a lovely golden green colour. The drape was beautiful. The monochrome knitting was dullness itself.
Third came some Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb. Colour repeats way too short. Turned into a mishmash.
Are you impressed by my tenacity yet, or just wondering why I continued to flog a dead horse?
Fourth attempt. Noro Silk Garden. How could I possibly go wrong? Everyone is producing gorgeous versions in this earthy stuff. Mine looked awful. Colours which looked beautiful in the ball fell in unattractive combinations, even when I took to editing the yarn for a particularly jarring electric blue.
The whole project has been shelved for about a year, until I learned to spin. As I spun the Lisa Souza roving the old idea started tapping on my shoulder. Extra roving was ordered and what at first glance seemed a setback, with the second order being radically different in colour to the first, in Lady E it can be used to advantage.
Half the second batch was spun.
Finally, it looks as if I might have a Lady Eleanor that makes me happy. She will be a little smaller and lighter than the original but already has wonderful drape and colour play which combines a level of symmetry with dynamic and interesting yarns.
Now I can't stop knitting.