Monday, 15 October 2007

In pursuit of Lady E

Lady Eleanor and I have had a long and difficult relationship. Ever since I bought the Scarf Style book she has been calling 'Knit me, knit me...' To my surprise, the entrelac was pretty straightforward so on my first attempt I zipped along and soon had a couple of feet of scarf. Horrible hairy orange scarf.

On my second attempt I used some lovely Elsebeth Lavold Silky wool in a lovely golden green colour. The drape was beautiful. The monochrome knitting was dullness itself.

Third came some Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb. Colour repeats way too short. Turned into a mishmash.

Are you impressed by my tenacity yet, or just wondering why I continued to flog a dead horse?

Fourth attempt. Noro Silk Garden. How could I possibly go wrong? Everyone is producing gorgeous versions in this earthy stuff. Mine looked awful. Colours which looked beautiful in the ball fell in unattractive combinations, even when I took to editing the yarn for a particularly jarring electric blue.

The whole project has been shelved for about a year, until I learned to spin. As I spun the Lisa Souza roving the old idea started tapping on my shoulder. Extra roving was ordered and what at first glance seemed a setback, with the second order being radically different in colour to the first, in Lady E it can be used to advantage.

Half the second batch was spun.


The yarns were wound and introduced to each other.


Finally, it looks as if I might have a Lady Eleanor that makes me happy. She will be a little smaller and lighter than the original but already has wonderful drape and colour play which combines a level of symmetry with dynamic and interesting yarns.

Now I can't stop knitting.

11 comments:

Adrienne said...

Those colors look beautiful together!

Saffron said...

I like the idea of the old idea 'tapping you on the shoulder' :D I agree that those colors work well together. Happy Knitting~! :)

pixeldiva said...

Oh! So pretty! I've wanted to make a Lady E for a while now, but hadn't really got up the courage to try entrelac, but that's given me another shove in its direction.

agatha quafflepuncher said...

Brilliant colour combination there! I bet it looks stunning when its finished!

Nikki said...

ooo, so pretty!

stash haus said...

Gorgeous!! How lovely to be using your own handspun, too!

yvette said...

Gorgeous, it looks fabulous in handspun.

LittleBerry said...

i think your setback over different colours in the same colourway has been a huge success and the scarf look fantastic!!!

LittleBerry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanne said...

Very pretty - and how nice to be using handspun!

Charlie Chuckles said...

This is gorgeous! My wheel arrived yesterday and I can't wait to have a go!!