Tuesday, 4 September 2007

A wander round my knitting bag

Here is the merino silk that I have now plied and set. Spinning this was a completely different experience to natural and hand painted rovings that I have used so far as the colours and fibres were combed together. I think I was concentrating so hard on getting the fibres blended that I didn't think so much about the colours so I was worried that it would come out a bit sludgy and over blended but in the end I am pleased with the result, the original colours still shine through but it has a good unity. I am also pleased that I seem to have stopped over spinning and over plying as when I removed the skein from the niddy noddy it didn't curl round on itself as my previous skeins have done. I believe that this is the reason for the best thing about this yarn, it is wonderfully, unbelievably soft which must have something to do with the fact that I haven't twisted the life out of it.


This gratuitous detail shot shows how the colours have blended but haven't been completely lost. Thanks to a strike on the London Underground I spent a lot of time on the bus today. I like to look on the positive side of things and am delighted to say that I made loads of progress on Meida's socks. They really are a fabulous pattern.I have learnt loads of little tips and tricks from the pretty chequerboard heel that works so well with a hand paint I will be recycling the idea in future socks I am sure to the way that the number of leg stitches is larger than the foot to ensure there is balance between the heavily patterned leg and the plainer foot - it's a real pleasure to work on. These are likely to turn into house socks as they are very thick. I could have probably got away with a finer yarn. Although the pattern calls for a heavier weight, it is in cotton which is denser and less springy than the merino that I am using which makes it feel a more filled out fabric.



Finally, I have been reviewing the WIPs in my sidebar and wanted to reassure myself that they are still all active. Here is a picture of progress to date on Thermal. Believe it or not, since the last photo I have knitted loads onto it but it is a long term project. I look at the finished versions on Ravelry and marvel at the commitment and speed that produced them. One stitch at a time...

4 comments:

natalie said...

I think the merino is almost DK, that's how I describe it in the shop. It is scrummy yarn, and what a pretty pattern, I have the book so I must look out the pattern.
The astro-turf is wonderful :o)


n

Sussex Yorkie said...

The socks look gorgeous, I dug my book out after reading your last post and want to knit them all.

Rhonna said...

Jane, I love the color you got in that blend. The browns are warm and soft. I wonder what it'll look like in knitted fabric . . .?

Nikki said...

Your socks are just lovely! and that merino silk.... very nice!