Monday, 3 September 2007

A perfect Saturday

This Saturday I had one of those rare and precious times. A whole day when I could potter around the house and garden quite undisturbed, tackling a few tasks which needed doing but mostly spending time with my knitting and spinning.

I have been concentrating on my embryonic designing recently but having finished a couple of projects it was time to step back and learn from the experts. I have had the new Interweave Favourite Socks book for some time and have often leafed through it, marking out my favourites for tackling one of these days. This time, however, I knew I wanted to use one of the yarns I had just bought from Posh Yarns - Helena, a lovely organic merino which is heavier than the usual sock yarn. Whilst it is a hand paint the variation isn't too strong so I thought it would carry a pattern reasonably well. Going through the book with this in mind, my choice was more limited but Meida's Socks by Nancy Bush used a yarn of similar weight. I have overlooked these socks almost every time I have looked at the book as white cotton lacy ankle socks do not appeal to me. However, on closer inspection the stitch pattern is really interesting.

One of the other joys of knitting socks designed by an expert is that there is always something new to learn, maybe a different cast on or shaping technique. This sock promises a new heel flap pattern and the chance to learn Estonian cables without the cable needle! Only dedicated sock knitters will find this exciting...


I took this photo after the first pattern repeat just because I liked the shape that the undulating edge made inside the framework of the needles as well as the way the colours work with each other. There is a particular shade of dense, velvety red that really stands out and gives me a tiny jolt of pleasure every time it falls under the needle - I fear I really am becoming a little odd...

I also managed to finish plying the merino silk that was on my bobbin and am preparing to spin this beautiful inaugural roving from the Yarn Yard Fibre Club. There are two 100g plus plaits here. I am planning to split the rovings in one plait down to give me short colour repeats and to spin the other with long repeats just to see how different they look. I started off thinking that the short repeating yarn was going to be socks but now I think it may be mitts or wrist warmers - any excuse for some fun with the stitch dictionaries.

3 comments:

agatha quafflepuncher said...

I really like those socks, I have the book, but didn't think of using the helena for them, the yarn yard merino would be good for them too then??
Look forward to seeing them finished:-)

daisie said...

I really look forward to seeing how those plaits turn out!

stitchwort said...

My Yarn Yard fibre is waiting patiently in my workroom. The last issue of Spin Off magazine had an article about spinning handpainted fibre, and I think I'll one of the suggestions in that.