Exhibit A: Austrian Knee Socks from Sock, Socks, Socks. I started these as a challenge to myself as they involve about 7 different twisted stitch patterns all repeating over a different number of rows on 2mm needles. Never mind a challenge - I must have wanted my head examined! I think I have stalled on them for a couple of reasons; firstly, I discovered that I had reversed one of the patterns right at the beginning of the sock - far too far back to consider ripping them back. I didn't think imperfections bothered me but the wind went right out of my sails. Secondly, I have realised that I am as much of a product knitter as a process knitter as I can't seem to fix in my head a vision of them finished which is also somehow preventing me from returning to the needles.
Exhibit B: Alongside my languishing socks I found this, a jumper based on a Danish ladies' undershirt knit on 2.5mm needles in gansey wool with an all over pattern of Scandinavian stars in reverse stocking stitch. Now I am not necessarily daunted by large projects on small needles but all was going marvellously until I found that I had lost my way in the pattern. Not something to do on 350 stitches in the round. I know that I just need to take back a couple of rows until the pattern is straight again but once again,I have lost my momentum and put it to one side.
I have now posted these two projects here and on my Ravelry space as a way of character building. It's not enough to set out on terribly complicated projects only to give up at a point where it would be a real shame to tear out some pretty good knitting. I can't promise that they will be finished in the foreseeable future but I am going to press on with them. Do me a favour - ask me how they are going now and then please!
Finally, just to prove that I am capable of finishing something - here are the Meida's socks, all done!