Sunday, 12 August 2007

Woolly jumpers and folk music? Surely not!

How about this for a knitting spot? Wonderful weather, good music and a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere - I am definitely going to Cropredy again! Highlights for me were Seth Lakeman and Show of Hands for creating music that honours folk traditions with their musicianship without a whiff of beards and pewter tankards. Some bands who will remain nameless indulged themselves in far too much prog rock guitar noodling for my tastes but overall we had a fantastic time. The days were hot and sunny but the evenings cool enough for me to need to pull on a woolly.
And this is it. I'd forgotten how much I love it, an absolutely plain, wool jumper. I was just thinking that in the last few months I have been challenging myself to ever more complex and challenging knitting tasks and have forgotten the joy of creating a simple, cosy, practical piece of clothing. This is a pattern that I adapted from a Knitting Pure and Simple hooded tunic by taking the hood off and adding a v-neck. The yarn is Rowan Yorkshire Tweed Aran which I am sad to say is discontinued but can still be picked up for a bargain price on EBay. I have some more of this yarn in a green and an aubergine colour so I think I shall have to make another very soon.

Three days basking in the sun did allow me plenty of knitting time which I used to finish the first of my spiral socks. I am pleased with the way that they have come out. Although there is no dark purple in the contrast yarn, some of the colour values are close enough for the contrast in the spirals to be quite subtle so they aren't quite as retina scorching as some of the samples I made for the Yarn Yard.

I have also worked out what I think is a nifty little fix for the fact that the spiral pattern compresses the fabric such that the sole of the foot is longer than the instep. The sock still fits but it has a bit of a turned up toe unblocked! I added four short rows to the instep before starting the toe decreases which evens them up and improves the look and the fit. I was terribly pleased with my eureka moment in the middle of a field in Oxfordshire. My friend Laura smiled indulgently. She is used to my ways...

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Ohh, so pretty!!!!!

Iris G said...

Hear hear! The joy of knitting a simple sweater is not to be forgotten! It soothes hands and frees the mind ;-).

natalie said...

Lovely jumper... and cool sock. You are right about the retina scorching bit.... but if want subtle I can go to M&S for those.
Any idea how much yarn you've used?

Just call me Ruby said...

Hi, have just found your blog via Iris and have thoroughly enjoyed reading. I agree entirely knitting a simple sweater can be so therapeutic - you have inspired me, could be just what I need.

Will keep reading

Kim in Oregon said...

So jealous. I'm a big fan of Richard Thompson and Fairport convention, and can't imagine what a wonderful festival this is.