Friday, 3 August 2007

Socks Discrimination

There have been vague rumblings at Yarn Archive HQ that I am not an equal opportunities sock knitter. Whilst the sock drawer always has a little something for an emergency gift for a girlfriend or a new pair of socks for me if I feel the need for a little treat, the men and children in my world are not so well served. For example, Leon casually dropped into conversation yesterday that he no longer possessed a pair of socks that didn't need the attention of a darning needle and promised to visit the chiropodist to deal with a troublesomely destructive toenail.

Last week, my nephew George wrote to thank me for some Dr Who collecting cards. At the bottom of the letter he had drawn a frog with a speech bubble which said 'Please knit George some more socks.'

I have taken the hint...
Here is the first of a pair of men's socks in a lovely greeny blue Trekking Pro Natura which is 70% wool and 30% bamboo. There are a few clods of bamboo fibre which need to be picked out but it is a good, slightly fuzzy, glossy yarn. I have chosen a simple corrugated rib which I think shows the yarn off nicely. The next project I have lined up is socks for George and his sister Florrie. I have chosen these yarns, both from the Yarn Yard . Because they are both growing so fast they have been asked to stand on a piece of paper and draw round their feet for me then count the rib ridges on the last pair of socks I made them, which are too small now, so that I can get their new ones the right size. They enjoy these little tasks.With all these new starts I have found the time to finish off one project. These are the second pair of my own design Cornish Scallop socks made in Seacoast Hand paint merino tencel. I have now finished writing up the pattern for them and have turned it into a pdf file. I would like to offer it as a free pattern attached to this blog but I don't know how to do it so if anyone can help I would be really grateful. Failing that, if anyone would like to have a go at them please let me know and I will send you a copy of the pattern. In fact I would be dead chuffed if someone would try it out and let me know if there are any mistakes.

Finally, here is my latest spinning project. It is a merino silk blend that I bought from P & M Wool crafts at Woolfest. This is a blended roving rather than hand painted so it feels quite different to those I have used previously. It is spinning up to look quite heathery and fluffy. I haven't been ordering the colours but I have been trying to make sure that the silk is reasonably well distributed through the yarn. It isn't as easy to spin as the pencil roving as more fibres are making a bid for freedom but I think I have the better of it!

4 comments:

Kaye said...

Wow, all your socks are gorgeous. Yes, I'd love to try your pattern out, I'm not the fastest of knitters though so it may take a while but it would help me use another of my yarn yard yarns. scarlettina71 at googlemail dot com

Donna B said...

Glad to hear that George has prevailed! I love the colors on the Trekking....

also, this month I got Selbuvotter, too, and am hoping to knit mittens after I finish the series of hats/scarves. It is such a lovely book.

Hanne said...

I could also help with test knitting the pattern. It would give me a break from evil shawl which is not obeying my charts.

My e-mail is vakerrellen at vivikala dot net

Iris G said...

So funny that your nephew "attached" the speech bubble to his thank you letter ;-). The socks that you are knitting for him are handsome.

As far as I know, Blogger does not provide the downloading service for now. I put my .pdf files to somewhere else (http://www.savefile.com), then provide people with a link on my blog.