Wednesday, 29 August 2007

Once a knitter...

Whenever I spend time with my family it always feels like we exist in a warm suspension of the past, present and future as we reminisce about our own childhood, play endless games of Frisbee and Pig in the Middle with the children and talk about how much they have grown and what sort of adults they might become. Sometimes there are folds and overlaps in these dimensions, such as when old friends appear in the toy box...



This doll was a much loved plaything of my sister's, now one of my four year old niece's favourite companions. And yes, the dress was knitted, by me, longer ago than I care to admit - we worked out that I was probably about seven or eight when I made it. Most of my knitting skills were learnt at around that age from doll's clothes patterns from my mother and grandmother's copies of the Woman's Weekly or Woman's Realm and were knit with scraps of yarn left over from their projects. It makes me very happy to think of things like this little piece of knitting that represent somehow the threads that bind our family together.


It's not a bad piece of work either when I examine it a little more closely. As you can see this project involved some simple eyelet patterns, some shaping, buttonholes and dividing for the neck. As ever, the finishing leaves a lot to be desired... Mind you -the nasty blue acrylic yarn looks as good today as it did thirty...ahem...something years ago!

3 comments:

Woollywarbler said...

That dress has done amazingly well, when you consider all the cuddles both doll and attire have had over the years. You can't keep a good acrylic down no matter how hard you try ;)It could have been worse you know....I had a teddy who wore a jumper in dayglo orange with subtle splashes of brown and lime, very tasteful!

Spinayarn said...

That doll brings back memories...is it a Tiny Tears???

Very good knitting for a little girl, obviously a taste of things to come!!!

Artis-Anne said...

Well we sneer at acrylic sometimes but it will sure stand the test of time more than our cashmers and merino LOL.
What a lovely find and a great continuation of family tradition . You were a great knitter then also :)