Wednesday, 15 August 2007

From one extreme to the other

Regular readers will know that when I came back from Norway a few weeks ago my bags were bursting with balls and balls or beautiful colourful yarn and my head was equally stuffed with notions of intricately patterned Norwegian knitwear. Before I had even finished unpacking I had cast on for a thoroughly ambitious cardigan that would really take me to the edges of my competence as a knitter. Whilst the fabric hasn't been flying off my needles I have been doing one or two rounds every night and have now finished the rose border of which I am reasonably proud. To be honest, this is all I am usually capable of after I have returned addle pated from a long day's work. The tension of the stitches is a bit uneven in places but I imagine that furious blocking can hide a multitude of sins.

The rest of the body is in a rather less complex leaf pattern in two shades of blue so I hope I can get into a rhythm and it will progress a little faster. I have to accept that this is a longish term project with many 'learning opportunities' yet to come before I can get a picture of me wearing it in my mind's eye.



No such trouble with this project which is completely at the other end of the spectrum. After falling back in love with my blue jumper I couldn't resist casting on a hooded version, again in Rowan Yorkshire Tweed, this time in Wild Plum, a lovely aubergine shade with flecks of fuchsia pink and emerald green. This is such an antidote to all the intricate and small scale projects I have been doing recently. On size 5mm needles, knitted from the top down with no seams and a pattern I have used many times before, the fabric just flows from the needles. It has only taken two days' commuting to have got as far as the underarms. It's now a bit bulky to carry so will become a home project and slow down a bit but it is so relaxing with the unchallenging process allowing me to really enjoy the tactile pleasure of the yarn, as well as looking forward to cosying up in it now the summer seems to have deserted us yet again...

4 comments:

Iris G said...

My heart melted when I saw the giant roses. You really should be very, very proud ;-).
And the Rowan jumper WIP looks so cozy and velvety. What a sophisticated colour!

Just call me Ruby said...

your colour work is beautiful. Is it your own design? Can't wait to see it grow.

DianeM said...

Oooh, that Rose border looks lovely - can't wait to see the rest!

kathryn said...

I'm very tempted to make a hooded something this cool summer and yours from Knitting Pure and Simple would really fit the bill. I've never worked a top down anything before - minimal seaming really appeals.