Saturday, 18 August 2007

Bracket Fungus Socks anyone?

One of the lovely things about knitting round and round and round on my top down hoodie, on which I am now over half way down the body, is that it frees the mind to wander off where it pleases. So, once I've ruminated about what I am going to have for my tea and what's going on in the Archers my thoughts inevitably become woolly and, because I hadn't got round to putting it away, my eyes fell on this month's offering from the Yarn Yard sock club.



This month's suite of yarns is inspired by the Scottish woodlands near Natalie's home. I have to say it is probably my favourite of her club yarn sets to date. It's really grown up yarn, subtle and evocative. The neutrals in the variegated yarn are brought to life with the twist of acid green. I particularly love hand painted solids as they have a movement and shimmer to them that commercially dyed yarns just don't have and this gentle green is no exception.

So, I was thinking about what the colours were saying to me and they brought to mind walking in damp, leafy birch woodland with that simultaneous smell of new life and decay which is how my thoughts turned to fungi (don't ask...) Then I remembered seeing those strange fungal growths on the sides of trees that look like groups of brackets and decided that I was going to try to capture their essence in a design to show of this yarn. I consulted my ever growing mound of stitch dictionaries and came up with this...

The pattern is from Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume I and is called Scalloped Shell.I think it looks much more like the frilly underside of a fungus don't you?

13 comments:

Adrienne said...

Ohh, your socks are LOVELY!!!

Iris G said...

I love the poetic story behind your pretty pattern...the subtly variegated green reminded me of fungi and lichen, too ;-).

Nikki said...

Very pretty socks!

KnittingJenny said...

Great yarn. Great pattern. Jane, how about you designing a nice toe-up sock pattern? Please?

littlelixie said...

That stitch pattern shows the colours off really well. Hope will get to have a proper fondle (of the socks) on weds!

Maggie said...

Thanks for your thoughts on Dad's funeral day.

That yarn is fabulous, and I like the fungal socks idea. :-) I took my bag of several bits of knitting to the caravan (we just had a week in Abersock) but lost it until we were packing to come home.

So read some books and slept a ridiculous amount. No blogging or online photos as we only have pay by the minute dial-up there at present - maybe next year I'll get to organise broadband!

Best wishes from Liverpool, 800 years young today!

Maggie

murdo said...

Stunning socks...they do remind me of lichen and brket fungus...can almost smell the pine forests....

natalie said...

So, GSD, (GreatSockDesigner) ... when can we expect the pattern, please?

Catknit said...

Perfect pattern for the yarn, it really captures your description.

K. said...

That does rather resemble the bottom of a shroom. I am very careful what sort of fungi I put on my feet, though. ;)

kathryn said...

Those yarns and those stitches are fabulous!!

Donna B said...

I was going to comment on the yarns, which are so lovely in their subtle shades, but after reading your post I have to say that I am enchanted....the stitch you have picked is perfect.

Brittanyqaaz said...

Those yarns and those stitches are fabulous!!