Tuesday, 24 July 2007

Woolly thoughts and T de F toe from Oslo

I had a wonderful time in Oslo. Once again I was lucky to have a fantastic travelling companion in Elaine, mainly because she is as yarn obsessed as me... We didn't spend the whole time on fibry pursuits but as that is the subject matter of this diary, that's what we are going to concentrate on. However, I am aware of the delicate sensibilities of readers so don't want to overwhelm you all at once. So....

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!

Surely no knitter could look at this picture without their heart skipping a beat. The yarn in the basket is Rauma Finullgarn which is a traditional yarn for Norwegian colour work. This yarn came from Husfliden , the Norwegian Handcraft Society shop. The selection of colours is jaw dropping! The staff there are also very passionate about their crafts. We met one young woman in particular who we spent ages talking about knitting and embroidery with.

Despite my dismal performance with the fair isle socks I am determined to give stranded colour work another bash and how can I fail to be inspired with this lot? I will, of course keep you all up to date with my efforts.


The Finullgarn may be a feast for the eyes but these two beauties are a feast for the fingers. Dale baby alpaca and silk for a couple of shawls.I cannot begin to describe the shine and softness of this stuff. Makes me come over quite unnecessary....

There is more retail therapy to report but I don't know about you but it's all too much for me already.

Back to the more everyday. In between the stash enhancement I did find a few moments to ensure my Tour De France muscles didn't completely seize up and have got myself half way up the second foot.The knitting on these is a lot more even. I realise that when I am struggling with a new technique my grip might be a little..um.. firm so the toe of the second sock is a lot more even than the first.

Finally, a little non knitting content. I just had to include this beautiful image from the Vigeland Sculpture Park in Oslo. I found it incredibly human and moving. Perhaps the lady at the front left her knitting on the bus...

More later....

6 comments:

Donni said...

Had a snikker at that 'left her kniting on the bus' thought - it's a LOVELY statue isn't it.

And you are right. When I saw that yarn in the basket I did a little intake of breath.

natalie said...

Just a teeesie little point.... is the yarn in the basket, yarn-in-a-basket in a shop... or yarn-in-a-basket in your back garden?
n

Adrienne said...

That yarn is BEAUTIFUL!!! Love your socks too!!!

Rhonna said...

Welcome to my side of the pond, Jane! At least you've come at the right time; a little earlier and you'd have just gotten rain, but I think the South has a little sunshine right now.

picperfic said...

beautiful sculpture! Oh my....that yarn, those colours! You had a good itme I can tell!

Iris G said...

How could you...left her knitting on the bus...my poor keyboard...

Love all the colors, especially the Dale--one can see that silkiness, so pretty.