Sunday, 8 July 2007

Woolfest Booty!


Isn't this a feast for the eyes? One of the things I was most looking forward to on this trip was the opportunity to play with so much beautiful roving and for some of it to come home with me. Apart from the greed for colour I also wanted to make sure that I found a range of fibres to build my spinning skills with. Amongst the treasures are some Wensleydale, some Merino and silk blends, some single colour Merino and some Corriedale and Mohair blend. I think it will give me hours of entertainment over the coming months.


The other wonderful acquisition is the oak swill basket by Owen Jones that the roving is arranged in. I think it is the most beautiful object made even more so that it is a traditional craft from Cumbria being kept alive by one man's enthusiasm and by the look of the process as he demonstrated it, very strong thumbs!

More aesthetic pleasure next in the shape of these beautiful buttons. The simplest of garments can be made extraordinary by the addition of a dramatic button. I didn't get completely carried away by my magpie desires for pretty, shiny things. My new spinning habit is an opportunity for the acquisition of a whole range of new equipment. Mind you, I think this equipment is beautiful too. It is all made from wood, which is warm and tactile. The nostepinne in particular is to my mind a work of art.

One of the other pleasures of this festival is the opportunity to bring away ideas and information. Not only that which I bring with my eyes and ears but also the wealth of written information that can be taken away for future consumption. These back copies of Spin Of and Wild Fibers are another part of the store of collected wisdom that I will use to improve my skills and understanding.


And finally, my most geeky acquisition. Alongside my enthusiasm for collecting fibre arts books I have a great love of dictionaries. What could be better than a book which combines both passions! With the help of this book, Japanese, Icelandic and Norwegian knitting patterns will no longer be a mystery to me. The knitting world really is my oyster.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Gosh, I could eat up all that fibre! Yum yum, such delicious colours! I know I've got some exotic roving stashed somewhere, when we get things better sorted with my parents will have to go on a hunt for it. I so envy you going to Woolfest - maybe I'll make it next year.

Iris G said...

I shall resist all these temptations...

Donna B said...

oooo ooooo ooooo. lovely, lovely fiber, and the buttons! I have a weakness for good buttons...

Donni said...

That fiber looks amazing! Amazing I say - and the buttons....yum yum.