Monday, 16 July 2007

Tour De France latest: First sock finis!


After much theatrical huffing and puffing the first sock is finished. I decided not to go for the marathon knee sock variety as this is not a good look for me. Having completed this sock I would observe a few things:
As with most seemingly complicated exercises, when it is broken down into bite sized chunks and the instructions are followed without over analysing them they turn out to be less complicated than it might first appear.
There are a few issues with this first sock that I hope to correct on the second, the toe is a bit lumpy and clumsy. I'm hoping it's my technique, perhaps doing the increases too tightly. It also took me a while to work out how to carry the yarn behind to get it to the right spot to start the next tier so there are a few loose ends to tie off...
All in all it is an interesting project which gives a completely different look to a hand painted yarn. However, it feels a bit clumsy somehow, like it's an exercise in being clever rather than thinking about whether it will produce a well fitted sock. Socks are, after all, essentially practical garments.
Off to grit my teeth and cast on sock two...

5 comments:

Iris G said...

Pretty Pretty Pretty! What else can I say--congrats! I think the toe looks good, but then, I'm not good at sock knitting...

5elementknitr said...

Good job!

Nikki said...

beautiful sock! You can do it and finish the second one!!

Adrienne said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

Knitman said...

Wow, Jane what a great sock.
Oh,and I had no intention of wearing Speedo's. They do however make for better scenery ;-)