Friday, 6 July 2007

The Time Team discovers...

Observant readers are correct - these socks have never before made an appearance on these pages -and here they are finished. They do, however have a chasteningly long and chequered provenance. I started them over two years ago during a trip to Australia. I thought that the long, peaceful hours that I would have communing with nature in the rain forest would be the perfect time to challenge myself to knitting a pair of stranded socks using a design in Charlene Schurch's book Knitting Marvellous Mittens. Now, knitting socks from a mitten book should have started the alarm bells ringing but no, I pressed on regardless. I managed a couple of inches in several hours when my friends were out but I would have turned myself into a social pariah if I had continued giving them the line by line,stitch by stitch concentration that I needed. So, like any good practical knitter I abandoned this conceit and settled for a rather abruptly terminated patterned cuff on an otherwise sober two toned sock and knitted away happily chatting to my friends.

The single sock languished for some months until I plucked up the courage and allowed myself the social isolation necessary to do the cuff on the second sock. Months passed. I got as far as the heel flap then realised I had lost the second ball of pale blue yarn. Then, when I was turfing things out of bags to go to Woolfest I found it and decided it was a sign that they needed to be finished which I did on the train home from work tonight. My conscience is clear. On this particular buried treasure anyway....

Gratuitous closeup of the first and possibly last bit of stranded sock knitting I am likely to do...



In other more contemporary news I have finished the first of the Seacoast scallop socks - I think the pattern works in a not too busy hand paint as well as the two colour version. The finished sock feels really silky so I will use the merino and tencel blend again.


And finally, I'm not the sort of person who generally fills her blog with the inch by inch progress of her socks but in this case the portion of second Roza is merely a supporting player to the nifty little gadget I bought at Woolfest to stop my stitches falling off the needle while in transit.I do most of my sock knitting on the move so I am very happy with these. One of the joys of this festival is that along with the eye catching yarn and fibre and the fascinating livestock there are obscure little objects designed to make a knitters life that little bit more pleasant.

2 comments:

natalie said...

What a nifty gadget...
I see your jersey in the sidebar.
Are the needles polished?
Has the yarn been selected?
Have you ironed the pattern?(!)

Do tell, what are you going to knit?

Iris G said...

The Scallop sock looks perfect, really. These brown stripes resemble the waves of the sea, and oh those pretty scallops...it's like one of Enya's mesmerizing songs.