Friday, 13 July 2007

Menage a trois?


Flaming typical! She lures readers to her blog with the promise of something perhaps a little raunchy and what to we get -another pair of wretched socks...

Ha! I love it when a plan comes together. Here we have the finished Rozas in Cherry Tree Hill semi solid supersock completed on the train this week. Observant perfectionists may notice that the instep pattern isn't quite centred on the sock on the right. I hate it when I finish the first sock, then notice a slight error. Ripping out a whole sock is not an option in this house but I do find myself grappling with whether to repeat the error and have two matching but wrong socks or try and get it right the next time and do the second one better. I tend to favour the second option. What do you think?

Surely, you must be thinking that saucy little bit of French in the title must be referencing my entry in the Tour de France Knitalong. I have indeed turned the heel on my queen of the mountains entrelac extravaganza and am advancing like an ageing lothario up the leg. Am I planning an extra sock in case I lose one through dressing in a hurry and leaving down the back stairs? Mais non...

The menage a trois to which I refer concerns this highly eligible bobbin of hand painted singles that I have spun this week. I want to spin her against a toning roving but have discovered that this single has not one but two amorous suitors. They may both ply her with gifts... oh that's dreadful I'm stopping now....

Let's cut to the chase. Should she go for the sophisticated debonair olive green to bring out her cooler tones or the passionate scarlet to speak to her fiery nature?


A little bit of each is not an option, far too swinging and continental. We are British after all. Off for a nice cup of tea and a biscuit thank you very much!

7 comments:

Nikki said...

Your socks are great! that entrelac sock is amazing! I'm afraid I'm not much help with the plying, both look good to me...

Donna B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna B said...

trying again....I like the olive. Classy.

natalie said...

I suppose it depends on what adventures you have planned for her...
The last handspun was purpley pinkish, so I think I'd be inclined to agree with Donna and go for the olive.
But then you know what they say about those Latin types....

n
www.theyarnyard.co.uk

Missmalice said...

ooh love the olive! But then I looked at just the singles with the pink... and ooh so hard. But I ultimately vote olive...s omething about it is so classy..... very French, Provencal almost.

I just bought two more colourways from Natalie - but seeing the contrast/complement solid now makes me think it would be better to get a solid to ply with my handpaint. Oooh you are one serious Enabler of the Highest Order! ;)

btw, the Joy is awesome. I just wish it were 4 inches shorter, then I would be able to take it as cabin luggage and spin properly on the plane!

organic-lizzi said...

Wow...:-) soooo nice..
I dream of that day I can knit socks like you do.. Now I try to explane something in English:Alpakka/silk is much easyer to spin if you predraft(?)the fiber to a very thin fiber. It is also importent how fast the spin is. Hope you understand... I feel like I am four years old..have to learn your language..
Have a beautiful day.. love Randi

James said...

I vote for the olive! That would make for a really lovely yarn. I agree with you on the whole sock ripping thing. Just ignore it. Socks have a shelf life and will have holes worked through them soon enough. Wow, that must be the most pessimistic knitting advice ever.