Sunday, 15 July 2007

Matchmaker, Matchmaker...


Thanks to everyone for their advice on choosing a life partner for my single. Mr Olive was your unanimous choice for his understated urbanity, so here he is. Scrubs up pretty well doesn't he? Mr Scarlet has taken rejection on the chin. What he needs is a truly vibrant skein which will be able to stand up his less subtle charms.

I have to say that I like the colour even more now it is spun up. The subtle changes in tone give a lovely movement to the singles which wasn't so obvious in the roving.

Every day when I spin I discover something else about the way that colours and textures are affected by the way I process them or place them near each other. I can feel myself becoming more and more eager to experiment and discover. It reminds me of when I have learnt languages. I start off being able to count how many words I know, then as I become more immersed in the language I grapple with understanding and expressing myself and realise what I have yet to know. It feels like that with spinning and colour work right now and I hope it will always feel like this, the excitement and enthusiasm for my chosen craft and the curiosity to experiment.




I decided that I needed a little break from sock knitting and that I had sat and admired my lilac hand spun long enough. I finally chose to try the Clementine Shawlette from the Spring 2007 Interweave Knits. I'm getting my money's worth from this issue. As the yarn is a little heavier (mostly...) than the recommended yarn I am using a larger needle so it will end up slightly larger, which I prefer. It will be good to wear with a winter coat as a scarf but can also be worn as a shoulder shawl. I am pleased with how it is coming up. The yarn is far less over spun than my last skein and is knitting up into a nice soft,open texture with the chevrons in the pattern enhancing the subtle colour changes. This pattern is knitted in two pieces and grafted in the middle. This means I can use every last yard of the yarn and learn a new skill in lace grafting (yikes...)

5 comments:

Missmalice said...

Gorgeous scarf! I can't wait to knit up my handspun... have to figure out what to knit though.

stitchwort said...

The olive looks quite different spun!

And then again, when it's knitted, it will change its appearance. It will also affect and be affected by any colour next to it, and you never really know how it will turn out till you try.

And the lilac looks great too.

organic-lizzi said...

Lovely...,gorgeous...VERY,very nice..:-)

Iris G said...

I really hope that I will one day have a same enthusiastic feeling towards knitting ;-). Your Clementine looks very polished so far and the colors are really amazing.

KnittingJenny said...

The entrelac socks are amazing. It is (kind of) an exercise in being clever, but come on, the results are great. WHERE DID YOU FIND THE PATTERN?