Wednesday, 25 July 2007

Instant gratification and yarn gluttony

This posting will include a brief tour of the deadly sins that I have committed in the last few days. The first one being that despite the fact that the Tour de France is working its way to its drug addled conclusion ( how prophetic that I included a box of aspirins in my first posting...) I am incapable of project monogamy and without a backward glance have cast on for this beautiful Norwegian colour work project instead of pressing on with my entrelac socks. It was the basket of yarn just sitting there - I couldn't help it... It's going well so far although I have read ahead in the instructions and will be requiring a very clear head to fathom them out.


Readers could be forgiven for imagining that I took nothing but a empty bag with me to Oslo whatsoever given the amount of yarn I appear to have brought home with me. I have to admit that packing was undertaken with a level of military precision to get the mountain of yarn in. The final wrestling match with the zips of my rucksack had to be done on the bedroom floor with three falls and a submission. It was worth it though... Here is some lovely soft heathered alpaca which I am planning to use for something in Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawls.

And this is some jewel bright sock yarn to make the Caspian Sea socks, a free pattern from Interweave Knits. I really have been bitten by the colour work beast haven't I?

I have to confess that this isn't all that followed me home but conscience will only let me disclose in installments...


Let's end on another celebration of the sculptor's art, once again from the Vigeland Sculpture Park which captures a completely different mood. I love the joy and vigour of this one.

10 comments:

Adrienne said...

That first top is going to be beautiful! Love the colors already!

Woollywarbler said...

It's a lovely pattern to follow. I made the sweater in 2005 and found it easier than I thought. All the leaves are identical so you can watch them grow and it's easy to spot if you mess up ;) I like your colour matches too. I think I'd like to make practically every design in that book, so far 2 done!

Auntly H said...

I'm almost done with that sweater, too. It's the "8 year project" for me. I learned that colorwork isn't really my thing, but I WILL wear it this winter.

Missmalice said...

Gorgeous!! what book is it?

Iris G said...

Ah I instantly recognized that sweater! Your color selection is so fresh and joyful ;-). And the purple skeins look so familiar--Garnstudio?

K. said...

I love that sculpture. It makes me think of the joy of being a mom. What book is that? I have seen that picture before. It IS a beautiful sweater. And the yarn is so lovely...

stitchwort said...

Yes, please tell what the book is - that jacket looks very interesting.

Riggwelter said...

oooh that cardi does look tempting, and I'm also dying to knit those Caspian Sea socks.

Lovely piece of sculture.

organic-lizzi said...

Oh!! so nice colours you use.. Lovely:-) Happy you like Norway. Realy hope to meet you the next time. If my son move out(I hope he will very soon..23 years old..)you can stay here if you like... I have two spinning wheels:-)

Diana said...

The sweater is going to be awesome! You're right about instant gratification, the colorwork starts almost from the start! I love the Caspian Sea socks and your color choice will be wonderful for them.
Great sculpture, and joy is right. I've had 5 of them although no longer so tiny.