Saturday, 7 July 2007

I'm pedalling as fast as I can....


You may have noticed the spotty jersey in the sidebar on the right. That means that I have joined the Tour De France Knitalong. I must disappoint you immediately by stating very firmly that I will not be seen risking life and limb trying to knit and cycle around the streets of east London. This is more of an homage to the spirit of the Tour interpreted in knitting terms. We have self selected into groups represented by the various colours of jerseys worn by the competitors to show their success in the range of challenges that the Tour encompasses.

The jersey that I have chosen to participate in is the one that represents the King (or in my case Queen) of the Mountains which is the rider who manages the vertiginous and eye popping climbs along the course in the best time. I like this class as we are invited to try something that really challenges us with the emphasis on stretching our skills rather than struggling to finish.

So, for this challenge, sock lover that I am I have decided that I can't entirely leave my comfort zone but I can have a go at something I have looked at many times and then passed on very quickly muttering 'In your dreams...' I am going to attempt the Entrelac Socks by Eunnie Jang in the Spring 2007 Interweave Knits. They are certainly enough of a challenge and the technique has a French name so I think they will ft the bill. I don't think I will be going for knee length as I don't have much use for that sort of sock (phew!) but I am looking forward to the challenge.

I have chosen to use the May Yarn Yard Sock Club offering although I need to check how the colour runs in the handpaint work in this technique. If they end up looking unbalanced or murky I have a lovely 1950s kitchen cupboard green that will work I think. The green and the hand paint have already been engaging in some rather unsportsmanlike pre race jostling so I think I am going to have to keep them apart.

Better get on... things to do before 3....

3 comments:

Riggwelter said...

I'm visiting from the TdeF blog and getting to know other folks in the Polka Dot Jersey group. I am totally in awe...what wonderful socks.

Good luck

Chelsea said...

This will be a great pattern to see developing! Let us know how you're doing. Go maillot a pois rouges!

natalie said...

Is the Anadin for the post-prologue-post-party celebrations?
Hee hee...