Wednesday, 4 July 2007

I just couldn't wait!


Showing off the joys that I brought back from Woolfest may take some time... My first exhibit is the debut of pencil roving from the Yarn Yard The lovely thing about this roving, apart from it being beautifully soft is that it is sold in 100g skeins of hand paint with a choice of corresponding semi solids. The idea is to ply the painted yarn against the solid to get a more predictable stripe than working with hand paint alone. You may notice that the lilac hand paint roving skein is a little, ahem, short. Note first the gorgeous little mini niddy noddy that also followed me home by the way....

The reason for this shortage is predictable. Despite the fact that I arrived home late on Sunday evening, did I do my unpacking and start the washing machine - did I heck. I removed whatever I was spinning from the wheel, grabbed a spare bobbin and got spinning! It is much softer and easier to draft than the previous pencil roving that I have tried. I am breaking it into sections and just easing the fibres apart before spinning it and it seems to be working well. I can't wait to spin the semi solid and see how it looks plied.

7 comments:

Maggie said...

I am drooling. I think I may have to stop reading your blog or laptop will give up the ghost from all the drool falling in it. ;-)

Come on, tell us what else you came home with! Impatient reader here wants to see!

That single looks slurpily delicious. Raspberry and pistachio ripple? Looks like you have plenty to keep you going for a few hours. And then there's the knitting. Socks? Shawl?

Can't wait to see - you are definitely an inspiration.

Best wishes from wet Liverpool

natalie said...

I thought you'd need those extra bobbins!
Can't wait to see it knitted up.

Iris G said...

I'm drooling, too... irresistible colors and they surely look soft. I like the idea of plying the painted yarn against the solid one and can't wait to see the result!

stitchwort said...

Hello - thank you for dropping in and commenting on my blog.
What are you planning to make with your glorious colours?

littlelixie said...

oooooo lovely! Shame I missed the unveiling on weds. Hope you've got more to show off next week?

organic-lizzi said...

looooovely...:-)
Hope you will have a very nice time in Norway..Thank you for the nice comments. I am not sure what I will make of it..Kind regards Randi

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel