Sunday, 29 July 2007

Happy couples

Good things come in pairs today!

First, it was touch and go and took some shameless acts of knitting in public to achieve but the Tour de France Entrelac socks were completed almost at the moment the Tour closed. Phew! I have to say that I had no expectations of finishing these so am feeling quietly proud. They were an interesting knit although I'm not sure I would do them again. I will try wet blocking them to sort out some of the lumps and bumps and might feel a little better about them. Mind you, I think a few tiers of entrelac at the top of a sock would look terrific and can definitely see myself doing that. My intention was to use this as a learning experience which it most certainly was.

A big thank you to Meg and Debby for organising the Knit Along and for the very entertaining and informative daily digests. I will really miss them now that the Tour is over - look forward to popping on the bicycle clips again in 2008.


I've been doing the final bits and pieces of my unpacking from Norway and have these to show you. The first one, Selbuvotter: Biography of a Knitting Tradition by Terri Shea is both a pattern book for the most wonderful and complex mittens and a history of the mitten knitting tradition in a region of Norway. It's both a fascinating piece of social history which is a real interest of mine and a source book for some gorgeous warm knitted goodies which I am really looking forward to having a go out - makes me almost hope for a chilly winter...

The second book is Invisible Threads in Knitting by Annemor Sundbo which is an exploration of the influence of Norwegian culture, folklore and traditions on knitting. The focus of this book is much more on the narrative with patterns offered for illustrative purposes. There are still some I would like to try, like the house slippers and beaded pulse warmers for example.

When I set off on this trip I didn't appreciate the importance of textile arts in Norway and had a huge amount of enjoyment exploring it. I found the country beautiful and the people that I met friendly and welcoming. I can't wait to come back and explore more.


And finally, the end of the entrelac sock challenge means that I have been able to return to my other projects. Spinning has rather taken a back seat with all my globetrotting but I have now finished spinning the olive singles. Ladies and gentlemen, be upstanding please and allow me to present the happy couple. Don't they look lovely? There may be plying tonight... ooer missus....

9 comments:

Nikki said...

oh la la!! May the happy couple result in a beautiful yarn! :)

your socks look great too!

Devorah said...

Congratulations on finishing your socks! They look great.

Kristen said...

Congrats - they are gorgeous!

Meg said...

Congratulations on the socks - I love them! I'm so glad you enjoyed the Tour! It was great to meet you, I'll stay in touch!

Iris G said...

Congratulations on the socks ;-)!
My first knitting book was a title on Norwegian knitting--a bit too intimidating for a beginner then, but I managed to make a few hats in bulky yarn, using the beautiful charts...now please please tell us more as you go through the two books!
The yarn couple looks great!

Riggwelter said...

those socks look gorgeous, well done on getting them finished.

Christina said...

well done on the entrelac socks, they are very impressive. I enjoyed the TdF knitalong too, and am already looking forward to next year.

Missmalice said...

beautiful! oh i can't wait to see them plied.... the entrelac socks are beautiful. Wow!

Diane said...

Lovely! Those colours are going to look gorgeous together!