Tuesday, 31 July 2007

Hand spun honeymoon




Here is the first skein of the olive and red hand spun all plied and set. I love the way the olive brings the red forward rather than overpower it. It was definitely the right choice. Notwithstanding the usual lumps and bumps it is in general a sort of four ply weight so I think I will try a triangular shoulder shawl. I have an extra skein of the olive roving so I can get a more substantial piece by bordering the shawl in solid olive if necessary.

Every time I spin the colours do something new and interesting and surprising. As I have said before, the learning process is fascinating - not sure I have drawn any conclusions yet but it is a lot of fun trying things out!

8 comments:

Missmalice said...

beautiful. great choice!!! I hope Natalie does some olive soon... i want to ply it with my planter singles!

natalie said...

I'll see what I can do.... maybe by the weekend. (Sorry to hijack the blog, Jane.)
The olive is very good with the red, sort of greek salad-ish.... where's that wine glass?

Nikki said...

So very pretty!!

Thank you for your kind comments on my blog about knitting, spinning and especially my uncle's death.

organic-lizzi said...

This was very beautiful..I have so many projects so it is no time for spinning at the moment:-(

Adrienne said...

Soooo pretty!!!

Artis-Anne said...

lovely colours in your yarn and I love you entrelac socks very impressive
Re spinning boucle there are differnt methods of doing it one which I posted a demo on my blog (Feb)if you want to check it out. This one was simpler ;I plyed the finer ( has to be finer yarn )kid mohair making sure that it twisted more on to the BFL to boucke it, if that make sense !!

Iris G said...

Love them! It is at least equally fascinating to watch you producing more and more amazingly beautiful skeins over such a short period of time!

Donna B said...

Thanks for showing us how this turned out...what fun!!