Sunday, 8 July 2007

And they're off...



Just a quick post to say that I have made a start on the Tour De France Knitalong Entrelac Socks. I have to say that I was quite daunted by this pattern as it is completely different in construction than any other sock pattern that I have tried. In the end I decided that it is possible to over think these matters so the best thing to do is just to follow the instructions stitch by stitch and see what happens, et voila! I think these socks may need some serious blocking as they are a bit lumpy in places but surprising as it may seem I am enjoying them now I am in the swing of things. Mind you, when I get to the heel it might be a different story...

10 comments:

ambermoggie said...

well done they look wonderful:)

Adrienne said...

They look WONDERFUL!

Nikki said...

They're looking great!

- from another "mountain climber"

knitabulous said...

beautiful socks!

5elementknitr said...

Holy Shnickeys! That looks complicated! Thanks for stopping by my blog, Polka Dots, here we come!

stitchwort said...

May I ask 2 questions?
First, do you wear and wash all your socks?
Second, how do the various fibres/mixes stand up to wear-and-wash?
I'm particularly interested in tencel mixes, as I've just ordered some. Recent mixtures using bamboo and soy silk have been successful (the bamboo/shetland mix even survived machine washing).

Probably Jane said...

Hi Stitchwort, thanks for your questions:

Yes, I do wash and wear all my own socks - in fact I don't think I own a machine made pair any more.

Ones made with yarns like Opal, Regia, Trekking etc get thrown in the wash with everything else and come out lovely and fluffy.

Other yarns are a bit high maintenance so I will hand wash them just to be on the safe side. I have had a bad experience with Fleece Artist which shrank and felted very badly and Cherry Tree Hill which ran and faded so I tend to exercise some caution.

I don't have a tumble drier so I can't vouch for their performance in that.

As for the merino and tencel I haven't finished the second sock yet so, if you knit as fast as you spin you may be able to tell me first!

K. said...

You make that sock look interesting to knit. I hadn't looked at the pattern enough to know it was toe up. Your color choices are pretty! All those goodies from the wool fest look so great. Did you start out spinning with the wheel or with a spindle?

Cecile said...

I've never seen a pattern for entrelac socks. That's quite something.

Where are you going in Norway? Will you be buying yarn or patterns there? Is that a stupid question? sorry.

Thanks for posting to my blog. Good luck with the heel turning.

Kim in Oregon said...

OOh. I must find that pattern. OOOH