Thursday, 28 June 2007

Sure I've got a sock habit - I can handle it...

After my last post Natalie commented that buying more bobbins was like having more than one Size 2 set of sock needles... Surely she didn't mean that we are only supposed to knit one pair of socks at a time? If only she knew the depth of my folly... I could blame inheriting my mum and gran's needle collection but I have to accept the fact that I am a multisockaholic. I don't seem to be able to confine myself to one pair and knit with project fidelity. However,in an attempt to at least remove the burden of unfinished sock projects from my knitting basket I have been overcome with a flush of finishitis. Here we have the hand spun socks done and dusted. I will probably reflect more on this project at another time as it is a significant milestone project for me and has taught me a great deal. Suffice to say with all their imperfections I love them as only the person who made them can.


Second I have finished the pair of socks that I designed from the Yarn Yard June club yarn. I have renamed them my Cornish Scallop pattern and have nearly finished writing up the pattern! They have turned out to be a close fitting and delicate sock - just right for summer.


I have also been working on and off on these socks - they are Roza's socks from the Spring Interweave knits and are a really attractive brioche rib - they are a relaxing knit and in a fit of enthusiasm I cast on the second sock last night.

I can see you are impressed with all this finishing and progress on the darkest recesses of my knitting basket..

...oops...I couldn't help it... I wanted to see what the Cornish Scallop sock would look like in a gently coloured hand paint without the solid stripes and remembered that I had just the perfect yarn in my stash. This is Seacoast Handpaint in the colour 'Butte'. It really makes me think of the colours inside a shell. The yarn is half merino and half tencel so is a very silky, summery feeling knit.

I am off to Woolfest now so I'd better start packing - I've sorted out my travel knitting so all I have to do is pack my clothes. I wonder if I have any clean socks....

5 comments:

Donna B said...

wow! you've been busy! That Cornish scallop sock is so pretty....merino/tencel is one of the fiber that I have yet to try. It sounds lovely.

Iris G said...

Your hand spun socks look perfect to me ;-). They must be so soft and cozy. Like you, I cannot commit myself to one project at a time, and I have learned to live with that. The Roza's and the Scallops are looking good, too!

organic-lizzi said...

Sooo nice:-)
I will stay out of the peninsula from 6-9 of july...and 20-26 of july..
If anything..or you like to see a "gipsy"nowegian home when you come to Norway my mobilnr.is (0047)90160070...
All the best from Randi

Fiberjoy said...

The Cornish scallop socks are lovely! And your handspun socks turned out very nice.

Did you have a blast at WoolFest?

cyndy said...

All of the socks are lovely,
and oh, those Roza's! They look great ...

It must feel good to have finishitis, I hope it is virtually contagious....