Saturday, 2 June 2007

Pulling my socks up


Believe it or not, despite my fickle heart, I have still been knitting. As part of this experiment with the whole toe up thing I decided to go with THE BIG ADVANTAGE that devotees of this style go on about, namely getting to use the whole ball without the worry of getting half way down the toe and running out. So I knitted, and knitted, and knitted and decided I had better put a few calf shapings in there, and knitted and knitted and convinced myself that I would be able to yark these luminous orange suckers up under my armpits by the time I had finished. However, as is usually the case, what is happening in Jane's world of hyperbole, exaggeration and self deception collided with the reality of a stout pair of hiker's calves meaning that these socks reside quite comfortably some way from my knees. They didn't stay there very long, however as it is warming up here. With any luck they will stay in my sock drawer unmolested for six months.


Mind you, I can't stray far from the roving... When I ordered my Sock Hop yarn, a sizable amount of roving fell into my cart at the same time. This is Wild Thing. The theory is that having an example of what the spun yarn can look like I can use it to improve my technique. This is, of course only a theory... The roving is superwash merino so it is another fibre that I haven't tried yet.

As I mentioned in my last post I was really keen to play with colour in my spinning. The dying of this roving is very simply done so I broke it into shorter lengths, particularly going between long dark or white runs and went for it. Here is a random sample of thoughts that run through a novice spinner's mind as she embarks on another session of wheel wrangling;

Well that wouldn't have happened if I had pre drafted properly...

What was I told? Hold the fibre like a baby bird...look, look I'm doing it...yeah right, holding as if you were a baby crocodile...

Gosh, this is so fine I must be spinning lace weight now.... (see above concerning self delusion)

It can't be 2.00 am....

Ooh - that's pretty.

Thanks to everyone for their encouraging comments. I am especially struck by how many of you have been pulled around the room by a galloping Traddy. I think they should hold Traddy races at Woolfest - I think I might win....


3 comments:

James said...

Those orange socks are hot! I'm thinking orange knee highs are the new "it" accessory. The spinning looks pretty phat too. Keep up the good work.

Missmalice said...

that is soooo pretty! Love the colours of the singles - and the sock!

Artis-Anne said...

Great socks do you need a pair of suspenders to hold em up ? Tres chic ;) My first pair of knitted socks are long enough for a kangaroos foot , just can't bear to frog them !!!
Great spinning there with yummy colours ; did you get the rovings in the UK ?
If you want any fleecy aquisitions I do know a few folks with difernt breeds I can put you in touch with :)